Worst week of commuting by bike since I moved to London.

JeRkY":tqbmthn0 said:
I drew politely his attention to the sign only to then be told to "f*** off"

What can I say ? WELCOME TO LONDON :?

I cycle in and out of town on a regular but often daily basis and once at work the first ten minutes of EVERY day are taken up with tales of near miss scenarios being exchanged between myself and another two riders....

Yes there seems to be a tendency of bland disregard for cyclists....and it is DEFINITELY getting worse as the years go by....drivers invariably start exchanging pleasantries with a cheery "F*** off you **** "..... even when they've just carved you up and all you want to do is ask them to calm down and not kill you....

On the other hand there is an imbecile minority who hack full tilt through red lights at junctions who only add to all and every kind of prejudice already being harboured by frustrated motorists....The only PLUS side is........oh........ :(

..........oh yes I know what it is.......Critical Mass at the end of every month :LOL:

Talking of cycle lanes, these are few i encountered today, some i'm just being picky, others are dangerous.
Sorry about crap photos, i think there was dirt on the lens.

This one is just plain stupid, is informing drivers about the roadworks more important that the safety of the cyclists? This is under a bridge too so drivers may not see the cyclists immediately as it's quite dark. I was going to kick it to one side but thought better of it. Chester has spent a lot of money recently promoting cycling and this is what we encounter.

DSC00055.JPG

These two i'm probably just being picky on, yes they block the path but there is ample room to go around. I just cycle on the road at these point anyway, too many junctions and traffic lights to navigate otherwise.

DSC00056.JPG

DSC00059.JPG

I recognise that temporary signs need to be placed sometimes, and these two are good examples, placed to the side and room to pass.

DSC00057.JPG

DSC00058.JPG

Had a very similar although harder to avoid thing on my commute this morning.

(excuse the dodgy MS paint work :) )

The Road works had sprang up over night, and the contractor thought it would be a bright idea to cover a section of the cycle lane with the steel fencing for the equipment store.

The lane at this point is sunken below pavement level with kerbs either side.

So a string of cyclists came flying round the roundabout, into the cycle lane and then were forced to hop onto the pavement in order to get around. There is no real easy path to get onto the road at that point and if there were it would be pretty dicey as there is a tight bottle neck by the crossing with a heavy amount of oncomming one way traffic.

Pure genius.

Attachments

• cycle lane blockage.jpg
    cycle lane blockage.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 541
legrandefromage":2q0i5ekt said:
I'd kick those signs out the way.

I've turned into a Daily Mail reader and just written a complaint to the council :roll: oh the shame :oops:

cchris2lou":3oeiaq1q said:
my commute includes country lanes and footpath and relaxes me a great deal . :D

Just applied for a job that looked pretty good with decent pay. Best bit, i've just tracked the potential commute,

from my door
0.06mile road
0.1mile footpath to the canal.
1.9mile up the canal toepath,
0.24mile footpath,
0.3mile of road
arrive in work

2.6mile total

ah, commuting heaven :D
I hope I get this job!

Back