retro bikes to avoid

Carsten":1xbwxno6 said:
avoid old (pre-95) Kleins, they really suck and are dangerously weak after only a few years. i've taken the burden on me to get them from the market. and avoid steel bikes in general. they are just heavy and i haven't seen a single one that didn't have rust problems after some years of serious usage

;)

Carsten

Rubbish about the steel frames I am abusing a 1985 Overburys Fellridrer week in week out its now a single speed and still going strong

fellrider85":3g4cbgow said:
Carsten":3g4cbgow said:
avoid old (pre-95) Kleins, they really suck and are dangerously weak after only a few years. i've taken the burden on me to get them from the market. and avoid steel bikes in general. they are just heavy and i haven't seen a single one that didn't have rust problems after some years of serious usage

;)

Carsten

Rubbish about the steel frames I am abusing a 1985 Overburys Fellridrer week in week out its now a single speed and still going strong

i bet there's rust inside the tubes and i am sure it's heavy as a tank...

;)

carsten

REKIBorter":jc1vhds2 said:
What about the Principia brand or sometimes refered to as Princ - snap - ia. Seen a few of those fold in two - one while trying to keep up with me going down Hayles run (nowdays named The Beast) at Thetford

Had two principia´s bitd, the last one (a MacSl) snapped the rearmech hanger. Nowhere to find one. Contacted the distributor in Germany, the send me two new ones (had to pay 60 euro's but just in case I took 2). They didnt even fit, I broke one while mounting. Wrote back to Principia and the returned the money and I could hold the hangers :D . Sold the frameset immediately.

gibbleking":17tn9fbm said:
as i recall kleins were supposed to hjave a 3 year shelf life if ridden all the time...yetis wre also made with a short shelf life....kirks wre just crap and corroded and snapped quickly too...

is that 3 years ridden all the time as in 24 hours a day 365 days a year ?
if so then thnats not bad !! :LOL:

who told you that kleins have a 3 year shelf life ? :shock:

magicmistertea":3o3gy2gw said:
gibbleking":3o3gy2gw said:
as i recall kleins were supposed to hjave a 3 year shelf life if ridden all the time...yetis wre also made with a short shelf life....kirks wre just crap and corroded and snapped quickly too...

is that 3 years ridden all the time as in 24 hours a day 365 days a year ?
if so then thnats not bad !! :LOL:

who told you that kleins have a 3 year shelf life ? :shock:

I believe he was being sarcastic but if he's serious i'm not riding mine anymore!

Carsten":128cz0vj said:
fellrider85":128cz0vj said:
Carsten":128cz0vj said:

;)

Carsten

i bet there's rust inside the tubes and i am sure it's heavy as a tank...

;)

carsten

Its not heavy its 531 quality lightweight tubing that has stood the test of time not some dead feeling unresponsive aluminium

i seem to remember reading about the frames in a mag yonks ago.....supposadly 853 has the same prob.not that i would know..i just ride em(when its dry) not build em.

footnote....always see 531 frames ie tourers knocking about with 20 years use under the built so that to me says steel is the best way to go...

Back