Merlin Titanium (should be) incoming - tentative thread opening

TreaderSteve

Senior Retro Guru
I spied this on a regular auction website - listed as 'unknown mountain bike'.
It looked titanium to me and having asked some questions their guy said no cracks/ dents, possible remnants of what appeared to be Merlin stickers and a 2*** serial on back of derailleur hanger. The chainstays and the rear dropouts are quite distinctive too which led me to think Merlin.

And so, it is - a Merlin! A ruddy Merlin USA titanium!

Having left a commission bid it seems I won it :).
We'll see about condition when I pick it up on Tuesday from Oxfordshire. If it's not as described I can walk away as they didn't need card details - they said it's trust!

Here's the one and only picture

merlin.jpg

Assuming all is dandy with it the research starts here. I found this list of serials:

1-59 (198:cool:
60-139 (1989)
3518-3604 (1990)

An odd break in serial numbers - not including 2000's. What year do you think it is - 1989? That should help when buying the correct decals.
Which model forks are they so I can find out if they can be saved - as you can see they're saggier than Hattie Jaques drawers! I've never owned front sussie forks either so it's a toss-up trying to restore or I can lay my hands on 1" Project Two forks and fit those.
A few bits I don't have in the shed of doom and it sure does look like it needs a few bits to bring it up to scratch.

That serial number list is wrong ;) It will be no earlier than 1990 as Raidan73's build of 1343 was confirmed as 1990 by Tom Kellogg on here. 1990 had u-brake rear so I'm thinking 1991 as yours looks to have cantis on the back with the pivot lower than the rim. Looks quite a large size, be interested to know what size it is. Super keen to see more pics!

If 1990 it may have the geometry by Joe Murray so Project Twos would be a good fit but these JM ones had the U brake. The forks on there look like Rock Shox Mag 20 but wouldn't be suspension corrected if a 1990.

1991 came with the option of a Ritchey Logic fork so again not likely to be suspension corrected in my opinion. I've seen 2973 listed as a 1991 Merlin with canti rear but 2988 shows on this registry as welded in 1990 (based on photos of additional dated welds and has a brake mounts under the chainstay, due to the extra small frame size), so guess 1991 models started late 1990.

1991 catalogue which shows the correct white downtube decals (1990 was black no bird and 1989 black with bird from what I can work out):

1727039003553.png

Last edited:
I believe Topline - from what I've read they have a propensity to snap and insert themselves into one's shin. I'm 90kg so a wee bit beefy, but I won't be jumping two wheelie bins laid down in the road so I'm hoping 1). they're uncracked etc and 2) they won't be mistreated either
Cook Bros cranks too?

or Topline?

cant ever remember which ones had the blind pedal hole.

Another feature of the 91 Merlin that differs from the earlier 90 is the way the press fit bottom bracket is retained. 91 has circlips that sit in a groove in the bb shell of the frame whereas on a 90 it has external retainers that clamp with grub screws:

1727043272117.png 1727043373246.png

Thanks kafer-K - that's really helpful. I could email Merlin as I've read that they are still quite responsive/ interested. It does look fairly large which with my height and inseam might just do it.
Ritchey Logic 1" forks with a decent steerer might be a bit unicorn-ish though.
Are Mag 20's worth re-building and spending money on? I guess they'd be period-correct but if they're a bit naff then I'd probably spend my ££ on some rigid forks

Back