Frame suggestions for shop bike

Some of those early alu pieces rode softly like steel.😃
Where are they all now?😉
That's my point too

All the giant and trek alu bikes I've owned were not too heavy and kept going until they were nicked. And they'd been bought from people who'd used it for a decade worth of commuting so I felt that those were particularly solid for that use

Not many mtbs get broken commuting.
We get regular "supported" LEJoGgers dropping in, larger gentlemen on high end sports bikes, with crushed wheels - otherwise it's theft and attempted theft,
or attempting to occupy the same space as an e-scooter or motor vehicle that kills bikes. 😪
Or dedicated neglect.🙄

You can go for something exotic and cool instead a average 90s MTB and every time you take it, it will make a interesting commuting route. ;)

I love this one, not easy to buy. Hand made, amazing fork and details.
1721071349513.jpeg

Al mega or cro mega are always cool bicycles.
1721071461467.jpeg

Cheap: Marin, looks cool. and Kona, cinder cone, lava dome are cheap or any other.

1721071671488.jpeg

For steel full rigid, I reckon it's actually getting harder and harder to find for reasonable money. AL frames with also the ubiquitous knackered crap suspension forks goes straight to the tip with no hesitation for me. They are worth about as much as the derailleur hanger.

Really got to spend time on Gumtree or the local ads and hope something turns up that wasn't too trashed and molested over the years and the seller doesn't really know what they are selling.

I love these kind of bikes, and with some research and patience you really don't need to go bottom of the barrel. Plenty of obscure brands did similar, and often with a few touches that made a quality difference.

Sometimes wide search terms like Shimano XT, LX or STX throw up some pearls amongst the stones.

Back