Retro Animal Pro-Series Chronograph Watch W004

I'm no expert, I've literally only taken an interest since I found out mine was broken... But I believe dial feet are soldered on to the dial and are used to hold the movement on.

It would seem retro watches are as popular as retro bikes and there are resources out there with advice on repair with regards to either soldering new pins on, gluing them or using 'dial pads' which stick the dial to the movement.

Unfortunately to do this you'd probably need to remove the whole mechanism and then remove the hands to be able to seperate the dial and movement, probably best left to a watch shop unless you're brave (or plain daft like I am)

kaytronika":1xfxvt9c said:
I'm no expert, I've literally only taken an interest since I found out mine was broken... But I believe dial feet are soldered on to the dial and are used to hold the movement on.

It would seem retro watches are as popular as retro bikes and there are resources out there with advice on repair with regards to either soldering new pins on, gluing them or using 'dial pads' which stick the dial to the movement.

Unfortunately to do this you'd probably need to remove the whole mechanism and then remove the hands to be able to seperate the dial and movement, probably best left to a watch shop unless you're brave (or plain daft like I am)

Yeah, my googling kinda revealed pretty much the same.

I've sent a few emails off to watchmakers, and we'll see - but I suspect it may be pretty uneconomical for what's really a fairly cheapish watch.

Antiquekona":1g2ig685 said:
Just found this again when going through a few old things.
Are they worth anything yet? :?:
Sorry about pic quality :cry:
Animal005.jpg

i have a w002 pro series i have had it from new since the early 90s... and yours is only the 3rd pro series i have ever seen !! :cool:
so allthough i dont think they are worth loads yet .... the pro series are very rare, much rarer than the standard woo1 or woo2s. they cant have made that many of them, I cant seem to find much info on the pro series anywhere.. so i reakon they are worth more than the standard early animal watches... ive got about 30 or 40 watches at the moment :oops: :LOL:
so id be very happy to add it to my collection if you did want to let it go ?

magicmistertea":357fwhy2 said:
the pro series are very rare, much rarer than the standard woo1 or woo2s. they cant have made that many of them

Mine has 78 stamped on the back - and I don't think I bought it particularly early in the line. So I reckon there aren't that many of them around.

magicmistertea":tkfpefu3 said:
i have a w002 pro series i have had it from new since the early 90s... and yours is only the 3rd pro series i have ever seen !! :cool:

... and make mine the 4th you've seen.

Attachments

• watchsmall.jpg
    watchsmall.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 2,842
The hands of a sturgeon... :roll:

Take one VX42E quartz movement
and one knackered W001 Animal watch.

Apply former to latter using patience, care, swearing and Red Stripe

Results :
One working W001 Animal watch :D

The fingers were a git to get on. Remember that if you touch the dial it'll end up covered in finger prints... The second finger has a pin a fraction of a millimetre long and wide on it. :shock:

Attachments

• IMGP4769.JPG
    IMGP4769.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 2,812
  • IMGP4763.JPG
    IMGP4763.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 2,812
Found a place called surfdome.com that does new straps in a style similar (but not identical) to the original.

Cost me about a tenner all in to get it back up and running.. Cheaper than buying one on Ebay and I love the colour :D

Pity it's lost in the thicket of hair on my arm :LOL:

Attachments

• al.jpg
    al.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 2,783
kaytronika":1ay5ujlu said:

Okay, I've been poking around, and I give up.

How do you get the stem out?

Aidy":zn8gnbzr said:
kaytronika":zn8gnbzr said:

Okay, I've been poking around, and I give up.

How do you get the stem out?

Ah, yes, I struggled with that until I found this:

http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.ph ... 1154372138

Different movement model number but identical method of removal.

Since repairing the watch, although I spent time lining the fingers up at midnight and at the point where the date is supposed to progress... I must have messed up somewhere as the date now changes at 5am. Oops.

I never look at the date anyway.

Latest posts

Back