MacFatro - Fatbike news and builds thread

Re:

See what I did today :facepalm:

Needless to say everything else concerning the fatty will be described here :roll:

Give me a chance, I bought a fatty frame today, I dont get it untill next week. :roll:

On-One were selling a 18" Fatty frame that had had its headtube dented and then repaired by forcing headset cups back in resulting in chipped paint etc. They thus sold it on the bay for £149 which is half normal retail so I quickly bought it.

Now I normally wouldn't buy an 18" frame but I know it has a 23.4" virtual top tube which is longer than most of my oversize retro frames so I know I can live with the medium Fatty frame. Seatpost will be pretty long but I am a bodgineer so that presents no issues either.

Currently I have 3 fat bike tyres and 2 sets of fat rims, one already built up and on my half fat. I have one set of Surly fat forks and two sets of bodgineered forks one of which is suspension air forks that might go on this bike.

Will need to get a 100mm BB but I can get a square taper one off On-One for £40 so not so bad. I however have a potential bodgineer solution to the 170mm rear hub which will involve cutting and widening a rear oversize hub barrel with the aid of my bench drill and pop rivet gun plus some appropriate diameter steel tube. Longer hollow axles and extra long quick release squewers are available.

Everything else is standard mtb pretty much.

Only time will tell :D

velomaniac":1zoacigz said:
...I can get a square taper one off On-One for £40 so not so bad. I however have a potential bodgineer solution to the 170mm rear hub which will involve cutting and widening a rear oversize hub barrel with the aid of my bench drill and pop rivet gun plus some appropriate diameter steel tube. Longer hollow axles and extra long quick release squewers are available....

Good stuff. This sounds potentially epic :)

Not getting back on fat site, its the fat bikers I'm avoiding not fatbikes. Admittedly I was trying to give fat bikes a miss for a year or two untill more second hand bargains existed. But those pesky Planet-X'rs scuppered that with this bargain.

As for bargain components, I have a probably misguided policy of only buying from within the EU. I want the economic power block that my nation is a member to get my money not some other lot. Yes I know most of our bikes are USA designed and Taiwanese built but they have entered the EU through official channels, tax paid etc. So no bargains in dollar signs for me.

I do however have the tools and imagination to bodgineer to my hearts content and using purpose built stuff would be so dull !

You could order it from the states and pay the import duty and vat, the only bit not coming to EU that way would be the profit margin of the shop and importer. but you are right, save up for a few more months and you could get a hope hub that costs more than the frame - designed and made in england - at a price few can really justify.

On a side thought: An old retro Hope Ti rear hub could be dismantled and the mid section replaced without the need for rivets - would look good too. You'd want the slightly newer version with the thicker flanges, and a longer axle would be an easy machining job.

I'll try my way first with the hub as it has a 1 1/4" barrel and I have 1 1/8" tube that should sleeve within it no bother. Not going for looks, only functionality.
I know my aproach of EU only is economically daft but without some principles to lead ones life by anything could happen...............

Back