MacFatro - Fatbike news and builds thread

A lot of fun can be had by someone with no principles, just don't go so far as it needing followed by jail time though :)

Re:

Sorry Velo but how many long walks home are going to have to do before you realise that wheels and tyres are not the place for bodges?

As for the EU argument I admire you're intentions but unless you are also supporting companies that manufacture in the EU using local labour forces then it's a very small difference you are making. As mentioned, order from the states and you'll be charged taxes anyway. The days of small items passing unnoticed are gone since privatisation.
Real way to make a difference is to avoid people like CRC and On One and buy from a privately owned shop. But then again at those prices :)

All fat bike walks home have been down to tyres and inner tubes, not a single one due to mechanical failure of anything I've bogineered :evil:

I have edited what I typed earlier because I felt insulted but this is not good to say what you feel without internal auditing so I have changed it.

The belief that you should only use components from established engineering firms unmodified in any way would not have brought fatbikes, mountainbikes etc into being in the first place. I have no intention of selling items I have modified to others and thus any risks involved are entirely my own. The constant eye rolling and put downs of my efforts by the conservative elements of the cycling world properly piss me off. Leave me alone to do as I wish, its my hide at risk, not yours.

Re:

Should have left it in, I don't mind :)
Didn't intend it as an insult, just making a point. Inner tubes that failed were stretched beyond intended use.

I was impressed by the gruffalo, but that frame build gave an opportunity to overbuild. You may not have that opportunity in the size constaints of a wheel hub. Only my opinion of course but one I'm entitled to.

I for one don't want you to stop posting about what you are doing but don't expect me not to comment of it if I have concerns.

One final thing, what is it you thought I actually knew something about? News to me ;)

I know what I did wrong with the tyre/tubes but it was a learn by experience approach. I dont make tyres or inner tubes and I didn't intend to use some of the inner tubes concerned but that was all that was available at the time. Tyre failure was nothing to do with me, blame the manufacturers. My bodgineered bits did not fail. The Gruffaloe would never had happened if I listened to the 'it'll never work' brigade.
As for comments based on your concerns, if the bodge affects you then your concerns are noted, if they dont its not your concern !
But when has that ever stopped anyone taking the mick out of anyone or their efforts on here :roll:
Now I'd better get back to my shit (literally) job :(

Re:

velo, like TK I thought about using an old Hope Ti disc rear hub, the type with 5 arm spider for disc.
Initially thought about dismantling it to put long sleeve in middle but you could just cut the titanium sleeve in middle between flanges, this might be difficult with titanium. :roll:
If you could get another sleeve that was a tight fit over the titanium, you could epoxy glue it together, just like the flanges are onto the titanium sleeve to start with. No poxy pop rivets required. :cool:
Might be cheap to get a hub shell on it's own too, but how would you go about making a longer axle for it, though?

Had a rummage in my pile of bits but no rear Ti hubs just front Ti 5-arm disc hubs.

I keep forgetting about the 150mm hub standard - would be a good starting point and most use a through axle which is easy to make - steel rod with die cut end threads.

how many hub "standards" are there now?
100 (front only I think)
110 (front only I think)
is that it? and how many axle sizes?

Re:

No need for a steel rod, 15mm alloy bar turned down to 12mm x 25mm with the 15mm original forming a collar( make a pair) and one of them providing the spacing for 170mm. Much the same as to how 135mm converts to 142mm now. A few spacers for the disc if 6 bolt or if IS then space out the calliper.

Back