cycling on the roads

konahed":2h9i7139 said:
But do they though? They don't pay road tax, or insurance, and the don't have a license. And personally I don't think sitting in the middle of the lane is showing other road users much respect.

As the [your words] 'road tax' for a zero emission vehicle is £0, there is no tax to pay.

Secondly, it's not road tax, but 'vehicle excise duty' to put a car on the road. As a bike is not a vehicle in the sense of the law, it makes about as much sense as paying Harbour Dues on a car.

Thirdly, nobody has an absolute right in law to drive a car on the road. Hence the concept of a license to drive. However, in law you have a RIGHT to use a road by bike, in the same way as you do as a pedestrian or horse rider.

Fourthly, as a bike + rider weighs much less than a car, it does a lot less damage to the road surface. Damage is proportional to the square of the vehicle's weight (source TRRL) and so a bike does about 1/100th of the damage. £1.65 VED anyone?

Finally, roads are paid for by a lot more than VED. VED would barely cover the cost of a few miles of motorway construction (work it out, 20 million cars at £165). Roads are funded through general taxation.

Why don't you just use your brain instead of having the Daily Mail just implant ideas for you?

hamster":1f4k9lf3 said:
Why don't you just use your brain instead of having the Daily Mail just implant ideas for you?

Haha. Get your attitude sorted, buddy. Daily Mail...wouldn't use that to wipe my ass... :LOL:

It just really gets my goat when people say that we have no right to be on the road. We do.

The fact I choose not to do so accompanied by a 3 piece suite, radio and heater is irrelevant.

hamster":2b4neogf said:
It just really gets my goat when people say that we have no right to be on the road. We do.

Don't think I said that. I making a point about how many things car users have to think about, cyclists don't even need to sit a test or have insurance.

Using the Daily Mail accusation whenever you disagree with someone isn't very clever (in fact it's Daily Mail level of intelligence).

hamster":1q9f2baf said:
'road tax' for a zero emission vehicle is £0, there is no tax to pay.

I pump out tons of emissions from my bike but only if i've had a curry and a few beers the night before :LOL:

jimihendrix":2u6aod2o said:
hamster":2u6aod2o said:

I pump out tons of emissions from my bike but only if i've had a curry and a few beers the night before :LOL:

Exactly. Plus, cycling burns up loads of carbs, which produces CO2. :)

guybe":3argnuli said:
nobody agree on same views....

I don't think this thread is 'closed' by a long way.

I really never thought I'd read some of the anti-cycling views expressed here on a cycling forum.

I bet some of the anti "two abreast" campaigners are the sort of tools who think it's right to cut up cyclists riding two up in a group. When out with the local club we get loads of abuse from similar idiots.

konahed":1x8spzln said:
jimihendrix":1x8spzln said:
hamster":1x8spzln said:

Exactly. Plus, cycling burns up loads of carbs, which produces CO2. :)

That was a joke :roll: , what about joggers should they be taxed for breathing heavy :? :roll:

I know what you mean John but the negative views and criticisms seem to be comming mainly from one corner :roll:

In my experience usually the car drivers who have no patience for cyclists also have no time for busses, HGV's, tractors, horses, pedestrians, vintage and classic cars and just about any other thing on the road except a car like theirs (just like the already mentioned Mr Clarkson in fact)

Back