cycling on the roads

NickD":108o11qa said:
You do seem to have a bit of an issue with car drivers though. I would consider myself a petrol head, I like fast cars. That doesn't make me a jerk, and I do know when is safe to use that speed, being a cyclist as well probably helps that.
I do have issues with a lot of car drivers, and a lot of aspects of car culture, but pragmatically I'm content to live and let live as far as possible.

I'm not saying that petrol head = jerk. My two brothers are petrol heads - only one of them is a jerk. But if I get aggression for riding safely and legally because the tosser behind the wheel hasn't read his Highway Code, he's a jerk.

one-eyed_jim, I can understand you are angry with motorists by living in Paris judging how the French drives :D

Take this a joke, just trying to lighten the argument, hopefully it will stop now.

Attachments

• crazy Paris traffic around Arch de Triumph.jpg
    crazy Paris traffic around Arch de Triumph.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 833
  • mad roundabout in Paris.jpg
    mad roundabout in Paris.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 820
guybe":2bpmvz8n said:
one-eyed_jim, I can understand you are angry with motorists by living in Paris judging how the French drives :D
Paris is a lovely town to ride in - after five years in London it's like a vicar's tea party. Place Charles de Gaulle is a piece of gâteau: you just sail on out, and everyone plays a very civilised game of give and take. It wouldn't work in dear old Blighty! I'm off for a ride now, then bed.

Roads

All very well this chat, here's the rub regardless of opinion, I was a hardcore roadie until 18 years ago, then I lost 4 cycling friends inside 12 months to drivers who "didn't see them" on straight but rural major roads. One was also a work colleague, he left behind a wife and three daughters and was on his way home from a nightshift and ended up in 4 bits in a field. The driver admitted liability and only got 6 points and a £400 fine.
I was also knock off in that same year by a Livestock wagon, who in broad daylight literally drove me up a bank as he drove towards me, again on a straight road. We had an altercation, he lost badly. :twisted:
I avoid all road cycling now, as despite who's fault it maybe, if U get hit by a vehicle U'll probably die.

guybe":3th6wn30 said:
I would like to know what is your views on this which I nearly hit a pair of cyclists about 10 years ago while I was driving my car.

I was driving about 50/60mph in an open road and came up a long blind corner with high hedges blocking the view around the corner, there was 2 cyclists on road bikes with the fancy gears and helmets, etc, they were side by side chatting to each other, it was sheer luck that I missed them as I braked hard and use the other side of road to get by and was lucky there was no cars on the other side otherwise it will head-on crash.

Replace the cyclists with a tractor, a horse, a broken down car, a fallen tree.... You would still have the same problem.

retrojon":15encn53 said:
guybe":15encn53 said:
I would like to know what is your views on this which I nearly hit a pair of cyclists about 10 years ago while I was driving my car.

I was driving about 50/60mph in an open road and came up a long blind corner with high hedges blocking the view around the corner, there was 2 cyclists on road bikes with the fancy gears and helmets, etc, they were side by side chatting to each other, it was sheer luck that I missed them as I braked hard and use the other side of road to get by and was lucky there was no cars on the other side otherwise it will head-on crash.

Replace the cyclists with a tractor, a horse, a broken down car, a fallen tree.... You would still have the same problem.

My thoughts exactly, makes me mad when i see drivers on back roads flying round blind bends cutting the car tight into the hedge as if they are on a friggin race track.

Then such a road is called "dangerous" and "accident blackspot", bad drivers create dangerous roads and blackspots :roll:

Jesus!!! I wish I never bothered mention this after getting criticism from so-called 'experts' here, for one I believe I am a careful and safe driver who respect others on roads and take safety very seriously which I have after driven for 20 years now.

The whole point is at the time that I saw two cyclists were riding side by side 'chatting' each other on the road, doesnt matter if it's on straight road or corner, they put danger there without using commom sense.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Latest posts

Back