Can anyone identify this possibility Russian bike?

The badge reads "USSR".
Can't see the maker name, but it's almost certainly got to be "XB3" aka Kharkovsky Velo Zavod - Kharkov bike factory.
In fact, I think I can even see half of the "3" peaking through on one of the photos.

The brakes read "Kharkov".

It's a KhVZ (Kharkov Bicycle Plant) - head badge looks like XB3 to the eyes of english speakers. No idea what the real model designation was but it and similar bikes were known as "Старт-Шоссе" (pronounced "Start-Shosse") meaning that they were a sort of introductory racing bike - a sort of Soviet Raleigh Arena. If a rider was really talented, had good connections with the local Soviet officials (and enough money for bribes too) they might be lucky enough to be allowed a special order "Чемпион-Шоссе" (pronounced "Champion-Shosse") which might, if they were lucky and nothing got nicked between the factory and delivery have light(er) weight tubing and all alloy components. Knock-off copies of Mafac racer centre pulls were common in the USSR, being made by a number of different factories - KhVZ made their own marked either 'Kharkov' (as these are) or just 'XB3'.
Edit: Suspect that the model name is 'Record'. KhVZ supplied bikes to the Soviet team for the 1980 Moscow Olympics (not from the Record range of course, those were designated "Moskva 80").

Last edited:
That's in remarkably good condition - the paint in my mind is too good to be original and the chainset looks far too modern for Soviet-era production. Along with copying Mafac brakes, for some reason the Soviets tended to use French pedal threads on the chain sets and pedal they manufactured.
It could be that KhVZ mutated to something else after the break up of the USSR and still produces bikes - wouldn't have thought they've have kept the same head badge, especially the 'CCCP' part. Shouldn't think there's much being produced at the moment though.

It's a Swallow, not sure about the russian name.
Nope, it's colloquially known as a "HVZ".
Swallow ("Lastochka") was a different beast.
scale_1200

It was the female version of little eagle (Orlenok)
89.jpg

Notice the:eek: lack of front brake

Last edited:
Back