1993 Brodie Catalyst

Too bad you aren’t 100% happy with the stem, it is beautiful. The weight is pretty typical of this old school stem design, the Ritchey force on my 88’ RM weights 355g. The Velocity’s make use of other weight saving approaches not used on this fillet brazed unit.

I’d be tempted to reach out to Paul for advice on the clamp alignment concern. A degree or so may make all the difference if there is a way to safely tweek the clamp.
I did. He could not explain the misalignment, not knowing how I measured. I sent him some photos and am awaiting further comment.
He did however offer me a full refund in case I did not want the stem.

For now I am hoping it‘s going to be more comfortable than the Velocity stem. That one offered very little comfort.

Which ones are you thinking of?
Tube ovalisation?
I guess I’m thinking of the ones around 93’ with the angled rubber top cap and much shortened wedge bolt, I’m unsure which velocity stem you are comparing

My TIG ICR brodie stem weights 365g but I’m not bothered by this👍🏻

I guess I’m thinking of the ones around 93’ with the angled rubber top cap and much shortened wedge bolt, I’m unsure which velocity stem you are comparing

My TIG ICR brodie stem weights 365g but I’m not bothered by this👍🏻
This one. 100mm length, Long bolt, wide bar clamp, metal cap. Weighs 300g exactly.

Attachments

• C428F91E-D6FB-40B1-BD94-5CA9B6745E62.jpeg
    C428F91E-D6FB-40B1-BD94-5CA9B6745E62.jpeg
    451.3 KB · Views: 3
I did. He could not explain the misalignment, not knowing how I measured. I sent him some photos and am awaiting further comment.
He did however offer me a full refund in case I did not want the stem.

For now I am hoping it‘s going to be more comfortable than the Velocity stem. That one offered very little comfort.

PS: The misalignment on the stem clamp is unnacceptable.

I would ship him the stem back. If it´s not crooked and you are hallucinating, the loss is on you. If it´s the builder fault, he delivers it back to you, cap installed, bolt in place.

PS: stems are not comfortable. Position on the bike should be and stems get you there.

This is a good read & I must say the pics are very inspiring. As we enter into the autumn here in the UK I might have to get some pics of my bikes out in the woods as the leaves begin to fall.

Back