Tell me about Tioga Disk Drive!

Re: Re:

ridevintagemtb":156tbfw0 said:
66 triumph daytona":156tbfw0 said:
Tomac had such faith in the things that he replaced one after every race....

Not every race. 40 hours was his limit.

I would expect a professional cyclist would have his or her kit replaced at similar intervals.

We need to hear from people who have ridden one for their opinions.

When I was downilling in the early to mid 90s I saw a few but by 95 they had all but disappeared on the race circuit due to failure.I remember watching Tomac on Eurosport running his bike down Mt St Anne after his Disc Drive folded in half around that time.

I rode a disk drive back in the day. at 1 of the plymouth grundig world cups ned overends specialized ultimate was on a bike stand in the specialized tent. I spun the back wheel & couldnt believe how loud it was. looking through the disk drive via the inner tube valve access hole (he was riding Sugino, but essentially the same) I could see he was using a hugi hub. a few months later I had a hugi hub in a disk drive pro. it sounded amazing. some people hate a loud freehub, while others lov it. a hugi in a disk drive is likely the loudest combination ever.

as mike has stated, they're not reliable. as soon as the cord looses tension via a single rock strike, overly hard landing, or just sand & dirt getting into the hub connection area & slowly abrading the cord it'll fail. if you're lucky it'll be central park plymouth having a dual slalom race with your friends (mine), or unlucky in the middle of dartmoor (my friend seth).

I still own disk drives, but these days their use is limited to a few chilling rides a year. just to remind me of how cool they sound, fingers crossed at all times hoping it doesnt grenade

I raced a full season of the Scottish XC in 2000 with one fitted to my Mongoose Iboc Comp. It most definately turned a few heads at the time ! The Disc Drive actually belonged to a friend who had already given it some 'stick', but despite this it never let me down. The noise they make is just fabulous, it's so infectious ! It seemed to be the case that if you really looked after them they lasted fine - my friends one has only recently started to delaminate a little. I liked them so much I ended up buying one but never built it up - as good as they were it wasn't going to cope with a new disc braked Orange Sub3 !

Caveywavey":2uj3dc50 said:
It seemed to be the case that if you really looked after them they lasted fine - !

due to the design of the disk drive the alu "buttons" on the outside of the disk sheet, rubbed against the cord around the circumference of the rim on the other side of the wheel. IE drive side rubbing against non drive side. so if you only ever rode it on the road, eventually it would still fail. the only exception to this is the last radial version disk drive pro, where the cord didnt run around the circumference of the rim.

yup, they did it right with hugi, who later became part of DT Swiss. The same internals now used under license by specialized, bontrager, enve etc.

Back