Show us your marins!

I picked this up yesterday evening and got it out in daylight today. This will probably be the most challenging and potentially rewarding project I have taken on to date.
The good,
Mostly original and the parts needed should not be too difficult to source. The seat post moves freely and I am hoping the bottom bracket will come out ok too. The breaks move freely on the pivot post.
The bad,
Lots of (hopefully) surface rust on the frame. The front skewer is rusted in place so could be a bit of a chore to get out. General tarnish on breaks and crank.
The plan,
Strip everything down and check/ replace bearings. Replace rear rim and rebuild both wheels.
New cables, grips, seat and probably tyres (although at first glance they don't look too bad and I have spares anyway)
Strip and relubricate the gears.
Sandblast frame to get rid of the rust.
Repaint and new decals.

That doesn't sound too bad if you say it fast enough.

Attachments

• IMG_20241007_114509_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241007_114509_HDR.jpg
    967.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20241007_114431_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241007_114431_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
I picked this up yesterday evening and got it out in daylight today. This will probably be the most challenging and potentially rewarding project I have taken on to date.
The good,
Mostly original and the parts needed should not be too difficult to source. The seat post moves freely and I am hoping the bottom bracket will come out ok too. The breaks move freely on the pivot post.
The bad,
Lots of (hopefully) surface rust on the frame. The front skewer is rusted in place so could be a bit of a chore to get out. General tarnish on breaks and crank.
The plan,
Strip everything down and check/ replace bearings. Replace rear rim and rebuild both wheels.
New cables, grips, seat and probably tyres (although at first glance they don't look too bad and I have spares anyway)
Strip and relubricate the gears.
Sandblast frame to get rid of the rust.
Repaint and new decals.

That doesn't sound too bad if you say it fast enough.
Interesting project. As seen in another thread.

Love this. Great homage to the original and indeed my own effort.

Would have liked to have seen a king titanium bottle cage or the Marin lite though.

Stunning.
Thanks @Matttymm!

I just got the original stem that this bike had in the 1995 catalog.
I'm also in the process of getting a controltech seatpost.

Otherwise, I appreciate your comments about the bottle cage. I had also thought about the original Marin Lite.

In my case, in Spain, it is difficult to find certain pieces....

After searching and reading all kinds of information on the Internet, I am not clear about the origin of these frames.

I understood that since 1995 they were manufactured in Taiwan, but reading 1995 German catalogue:

"At our titanium processing factory in Fairfield California, all tubes are carefully hand-selected and meticulously welded."

Is there any truth in this statement?

Cheers

Back