rusty inner seatpost tube 91 outpost

fattaffracingco

Dirt Disciple
hi all, ive been doing some long needed jobs on my steel framed 91 outpost,(which ive owned 20 odd years ) i have removed the old seized seatpost by placing bike in a vice upsside down via the seatpost and using the whole bike as a lever , my god it was tight !!! and ive been soaking it in penetrant for a few weeks also
any ways is there a clever way of cleaning inside my post tube or do i just persevere with a rod and brillo pad cable tied to each other ??? its slow work tho
the new post only goes in about 6 inches before it gets tight and i aint forcing it in , anyone with a clever tip ???? thanks guys chris fattaff

Re:

Get a wooden dowel, attach some wet&dry/sandpaper etc around it, stick it in an electric drill and go to it with that, I've done several this way over the years.

Same idea as above, but with coat hanger folded at each end...one to fit in into the drill chuck tight the other to hold a big chunk of folded tin foil. Works a treat.

If you can do it with the frame upside down in a workstand so that the muck falls out rather than into the frame then even better.

Back