Stuck seatpost. And I mean stuck!

I have no idea what 10% is like, I add caustic till the water gets hot.
Add a bit at a time, otherwise the water will boil and it will try and escape.
I use it for removing aluminium from steel, like ali on a bore wall after seizing an engine. Only time I have used it on a seat post was a month or so ago. The frame had been full of thinners and atf for a month and the tube still wouldn't move.
I filled the seat tube half way, it got pretty hot and steamed a lot, about an hour later it had cooled down, so I emptied it and put a new batch in. After about half an hour I realised it was pouring out of the seat post. I grabbed the seat post and it came out really easy. The post is thin like foil, the post is complete but very thin, with a hole where the caustic went though it. The seat tube will get hot and it might affect the paint, if thats a problem don't mix the caustic as strong, or water it down when it goes above touchable[I have always thought that was about 70ºC]. You can just see a paint mixing cup in the lower right of the picture, I was mixing the caustic hot enough to distort the cup. I used about half a little pot of caustic.

Where the caustic is running down in the pic, it's running out of the hole it made. The bloke I bought the frame from had a neat idea, a mag drill bit with a pilot. He bores most of the post away, it then pulls out by hand. He wanted to remove it, I wanted to leave it to soak[I am a cheapskate and wanted to reuse the post]. I have soaked vintage bike parts that look like they have been in a ditch for 70 years, leave them long enough and they always come apart. I would have left the frame longer but I was going to assemble it and use it, which I haven't done.

Attachments

• 90-pine-seatpost.jpg
    90-pine-seatpost.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 647
I've sawed down the inside of the post in 2 places. It still won't move. The effort is beginning to be not worth it, for a battered old frame. The seatpost metal is very thick - about 3-4mm.

Hey, the bike only cost me £30 a few years ago. It's given good service as a commuter. Time to meet its melter I guess, unless anyone wants a frame with a sawn-off seatpost still in it.

Have you removed the sawn bit and soaked oil down the gap? If you've got enough left to grip I'd be surprised if it doesn't give.

They all come out with persistence, the hacksaw / roll up method is the best, bit you need a good blade. I have never not got a post out yet.
Persevere.

:D

That's a a bummer, but don't tip it, as you hinted at in your first post. Karma it on here and someone will take on the challenge I'm sure!
;)

Don't scrap it! I still have loads of caustic soda, so I'll happily do a more careful rendition of my attempt linked to earlier and then karma the frame to someone.

Pretty sure I can do it with no damage to the paint, with the Richter 8.0 it needed repainting anyway, hence my carefree attitude.

Got a friend in Sheffield who would pick it up from you.

I have PM'd Yog Sothoth about being the next owner of this frame... if Kingoffootball does manage to pick it up, I would gladly take on the full resto of the frame

G

PMs sent.

The paint's not great anyway so don't worry.

A friend has offered me a Muddy Fox Ti frame he has that was in a fire. The frame is fine he says but almost everything on it melted in the heat!

If the frame is OK I'll build a new commuter from that. Hope the seat tube isn't full of melted aluminium!

Back