Frame failure experiences

Did that fail when out riding? I think a logical extension of this thread is to also talk about when things do fail what the consequences are.

OK, I get that is FUBAR, but could you ride home? The rear wheel is still keeping at least one triangle together.

EDIT: Mate had the same failure on a steel GT.

Did that fail when out riding? I think a logical extension of this thread is to also talk about when things do fail what the consequences are.

OK, I get that is FUBAR, but could you ride home? The rear wheel is still keeping at least one triangle together.

Most frame failures I've had - I've ridden home at least.

The Ritchey logic frame - began to feel extremely floppy because the crack had propagated half way around the tube before I noticed it. I finished riding that sucker to work and back that day (about 10 miles).

The Kirk with the failed dropout? It failed as I was riding downhill fast. The back wheel locked up and threw me off. I had concussion and lots of cuts & bruises but still rode it home by leaning over on that side to keep the wheel in place.

The Saracen with the cracked head tube/downtube weld? I didn't notice it for weeks and just carried on riding it until I bought my next bike. I never occurred to me it would be unsafe. I even sold it on. I was 18 and young & stupid.

I've heard those dropouts are prone to that

Back