Frame failure experiences

Hard to believe the crack was not spotted at the time of advertising and packing.

Agree, poor design. The diameter and wall thickness of the downtube should have been enough in most riding circumstances.

1728733021274.png

Orange Aluminium O. Lent to a mate, I'm 5'6", he's 6'3" so naturally he put the saddle right up. Unfortunately it contained one of USE's original shims which were about 40mm long and the leverage snapped off the whole seat cluster. Still grates to this day, bastard never did pay for it as promised. I had it welded back together at a local place but never trusted it again and it looked shite. It's still buried in the garage somewhere I think.

I do get ti repaired, but in this case I can get a refund
I did wonder if you could. After trawling through the ad again, and this time noticing the crack in the photos, I know that sometimes sellers can argue that it was 'in the photos which form part of the description '... Thought it might have gone down that route

I did wonder if you could. After trawling through the ad again, and this time noticing the crack in the photos, I know that sometimes sellers can argue that it was 'in the photos which form part of the description '... Thought it might have gone down that route
Ebay is strong for buyers.
Biggest problem is if the courier says its delivered but it isn't.

The description 'no cracks' trumps all else; and a picture proves it was pre-existing.

Hard to believe the crack was not spotted at the time of advertising and packing.

Agree, poor design. The diameter and wall thickness of the downtube should have been enough in most riding circumstances.

View attachment 891914
Cove are a favourite of 'huckers', and gusseting often lends an impression of mighty strength. Also quite an old frame. Seller may well be in a rush, and may have been working off a smart phone, without getting in close on the pictures they may have taken hurriedly, or perhaps having a minion do the packaging and posting.
Ironically, it is still worth most of that price to someone. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woz
Yep, Ti the wonder material again.

I think it's also quite easy to persuade yourself as a seller, and an owner that a crack is just a scratch - particularly if frame isn't creaking etc and you've been riding it for ages without problems. No-one wants to believe their pride and joy is now essentially worthless.

As a buyer though, why would you take the risk?

There was an example for sale on here

Came from the same people as this DNA I picked up this week.

The build quality is certainly above Taiwan made but not quite as nice as a US made frame. But still nice.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpeg
    IMG_0006.jpeg
    868.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0004.jpeg
    IMG_0004.jpeg
    801.6 KB · Views: 0
1995 Gussets on a Bontrager Ti Lite.

Nothing sharp with leverage to "puncture" or "pull" on the tube wall. I understood the cut-outs of this design are to allow some flex, but
increase the surface area at the join with the head-tube.

1728762994732.png

Back