Frame failure experiences

The tales in the late 90s of Russian ti being slightly radioactive?
Probably apocryphal.
The fuel pipe alloy by really being suitable for bicycle frames?
Probably true.

Everything in the world is slightly radioactive after August 1945. Got worse in 1986.
Low background steel, normally pulled of shipwrecks is used for particle detectors.

My mate had an nice electric blue anodised Alan which came with the usual hairline crack at the headtube from someone forcing in a fixed cup. Full Campagnolo Super Record, he bought it from an estate of a well known cyclist who's wife was knocking out all his cherished bikes for cheap. This was about 30 years ago. The guy at our LBS saw it, sucked his teeth and said 'oh you want to bin that, it'll kill you'... My mate was like 'Yeah grandad, I'll be careful'.

Like the 979 it's still going strong, still got the same headset in it, the crack is still cracking along! Pretty thick tubes on the Alan...

The guy from the LBS is well dead tho! Life will kill you, as will crispy bacon and malt whisky, you might as well live dangerously while you can 🤐😂

This is quite a common complaint on Alan Super Record frames, again, absolutely no problem riding it. Just one of dem tings you learn to forget about! 😂

Attachments

• IMG_20240926_214948.jpg
    IMG_20240926_214948.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 4
I did hear an apocryphal story once from a well known importer that they got batch of Russian Ti frames on the cheap because they'd been 'recycled' from a load of Mig 31's which had recently been decommissioned. This was in the early 90's and they were putting them out to the public at 300 quid, quite the bargain. I managed to see one in the metal, and it looked quite rough, but it was LIGHT! I wasn't tempted tho. Never heard anything but good reports about them afterwards. The Mig 31 was the fastest Russian interceptor jet at 3000km/h (1900mph) and was limited to 5G's at top speed.

I reckon if they know how to put a jet together that can rattle along like that, a bike frame should be a doddle....

Russian Red was the brand name.

A lot of BS marketing and sounded cool at the time of the cold war dissipating. Cashing in from a world outside now accessible, with cheap labour and knowledge is actually closer to the truth. When an ingot is made and goes off to tube manufacture, then to bike manufacture traceability especially back then is well and truly lost. I'm not even sure technically if any titanium recycling went on back then either.

Company appears to still be going, but all a bit questionable these days with sanctions and what not.
https://www.rapid-titan.ru/aboutus_en.htm

Our own resident @Imlach owns a Kocmo via the German design team; clearly mentioned in the blurb above. I've been looking out for a Kocmo CX for too long to remember now.

Had two 501 frames develop a crack in the head tube ? Luckily the Carlton Kermess was under guarantee and the shop gave me a 531 Raleigh frame in exchange. :)
I don't know what happened to Carlton, I suppose when Raleigh got them they knocked the QC on the head. I had a nice 12 speed 531, rusted to buggery in under two years, and then a nice brazing gap at the head tube lug. And to think they were probably the best frames being made in Britain in the era. Raleigh... Bah humbug!

Rapid Titan (Russia)

Word for word from the actual website, would you buy a Ti brake bolt off these guys....! 🤔 😂😂😂

'In 2004 we made a separate devision for a circus accessories production, which is very actual nowdays'.

Very nice! How much you sell 501 denims? I give you Titanic frame, and many plenty chickens. Good deals for you!

Rapid Titan (Russia)

Word for word from the actual website, would you buy a Ti brake bolt off these guys....! 🤔 😂😂😂

'In 2004 we made a separate devision for a circus accessories production, which is very actual nowdays'.

Very nice! How much you sell 501 denims? I give you Titanic frame, and many plenty chickens. Good deals for you!

:LOL: :LOL:

Exactly like going to Estonia in the early 1990s - buy a Soviet army hat for $500 USD from a babushka. Very cheap. Very nice on you Sir.

In honesty and jokes aside, while it all looks and seems backward, the pedigree is not to be sniffed at, especially if there is QC involvement from the errmmm "outside" / principal vendor to the end customer.

The tales in the late 90s of Russian ti being slightly radioactive?
Probably apocryphal.
Probably true.
I heard from someone that he had access to ti tubes that were used in the nuclear industry, he was offered to buy them cheap in quantity, but he did not, end of story...

Russian Red was the brand name.

A lot of BS marketing and sounded cool at the time of the cold war dissipating. Cashing in from a world outside now accessible, with cheap labour and knowledge is actually closer to the truth. When an ingot is made and goes off to tube manufacture, then to bike manufacture traceability especially back then is well and truly lost. I'm not even sure technically if any titanium recycling went on back then either.

Company appears to still be going, but all a bit questionable these days with sanctions and what not.
https://www.rapid-titan.ru/aboutus_en.htm

Our own resident @Imlach owns a Kocmo via the German design team; clearly mentioned in the blurb above. I've been looking out for a Kocmo CX for too long to remember now.
There was an example for sale on here

Probably true.

Almost on the nail ..... but no milk and cookies for you and sleep easy. Obligation to go to the Inn and buy a round of harder stuff.

Posted many many times, just because it is sacred from the horses mouth themselves with information that cuts through a lot of the BS as we know the bicycle industry loves to dish out. From an old Sandvik website. Now if you think for a minute Sandvik being Swedish that (had) Russia as a long trading partner for semi-raw materials who produce the largest quantities of raw Ti in the world, it sort of ends dead a few myths too. The Sandvik empire is legendary just like the SKF empire and based on very similar business ethos.

1727390105864.png

Back