40’s Schwinn DX klunker Build?

View attachment 766066View attachment 766067View attachment 766068
Well Huffman frame is in hand as is the child's Schwinn. Not quite what I was wishing for in terms of condition regarding the Huffman. I think I will either try brazing of find someone that can to address the problem areas. Your expertise in this will be helpful.
Looks like this frame is shot. Looks like the bb is dented, or is it just burned paint that makes it look dented. With this much damage it most likely is no longer straight. Perhaps a car backed into it? You can check the frame for true. A proper repair will cost more than another frame. Those stick gob welds don't look like they penetrated and you might be able to break them off with a chisel. Looks to me like it was welded without proper cleaning down to bare steel.

Looks like this frame is shot. Looks like the bb is dented, or is it just burned paint that makes it look dented. With this much damage it most likely is no longer straight. Perhaps a car backed into it? You can check the frame for true. A proper repair will cost more than another frame. Those stick gob welds don't look like they penetrated and you might be able to break them off with a chisel. Looks to me like it was welded without proper cleaning down to bare steel.
When none other than @Nabeaquam suggests a frame is done for I reckon it is. Sad.

When none other than @Nabeaquam suggests a frame is done for I reckon it is. Sad.
Maybe a friend can weld it proper and straight. Years ago I had a rear klunker triangle break. I felt like I was riding a swing bike. It broke on a rock garden. I had ridden this trail several times on that bike but for some reason it just let go.

Sorry for the lapse but family holidays took me away for a couple weeks. Finally got to the Hufman to see what I was dealing with. Needless to say this is beyond anything I want to take on at this point. Stripped for parts sadly done. IMG_3948.jpeg IMG_3949.jpeg

Last edited:
Hope you had a good family holiday! I'd still keep the frame in case any of the tubing comes in handy for a future project ;)👍

Back