40’s Schwinn DX klunker Build?

I've gone away for a few days and I'm lost at what bike I'm looking at!!! 🤣

Freewheel looks like you need x2 chainwhips to split perhaps? Sheldon Brown can be a good starting place:

You can make these easy if you don't have any or need to make an additional one.

The black laser cut skull 'n flames looks loads better! :cool:

And just careful bending open of the stem as too much will cause the aluminium to work harden and could cause early failure. Lovely looking bars by the way! 👌

Are you going with two or 3 cross on your wheels? Please show the finished wheels when you’re finished. Someone on RRB used two cross.

You got the cassette freewheel off.
I removed the cone nut on the freewheel side which enabled me to remove the freewheel. This does expose the inner caged bearing and the pawl assemblies of the hub. So I detached all of the spoke from the rim and removed the non drive side spokes before removing the freewheel and remaining drive side spokes.

As for 2 cross or 3 cross I guess it'll depend on which wheel building video I follow along with😅 I've never disassembled a wheel let alone lace one up. Should ask as to which would be best?

As for 2 cross or 3 cross I guess it'll depend on which wheel building video I follow along with😅 I've never disassembled a wheel let alone lace one up. Should ask as to which would be best?
I’m not sure with a smaller (26 inch rim) and a large diameter hub. 2x might be safer as far as less chance of spokes laying on the hub but it will be weaker. Ive seen 3x on this type of setup and sometime it’s not too bad. My SA drum brake has 3x and it’s ok. I’m curious as I have a bunch of loose drum hubs like yours and a bunch more that have an even bigger diameter. I can’t decide how many cross to use.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back