1994 Schwinn force master frame found laying by the street!

Thias

Klein Fan
Hey everyone!

I got myself a new bike. Or found, rather. At the side of the street. :facepalm:
Somebody ripped all the parts off of it and left it. I first noticed it laying there on my way to work 2 weeks ago. Then, 2 days ago, I decided it really was abandoned and just threw it in my trunk. Because of the scott at-3 bars mainly. I did not know about the frame much.
Here is how I found it.

I saw the "bent" chaintube. But it looked oddly original. So in the evening I did a bit of research. Not too many of theese around, it seems. Found a cataloge. And was pleasantly surprised.
The bike came with a full set of XT originally. It has a tange prestige ultralight tubing. And the bend is a feature. It is a 20" frame, so just my size. And on my kitchen scales it says 2050g. That is pretty lightweight! For a 20" frame that is.

The paint is a bit on the rough side. I bet a whole row of students used this bike for quite some time, scratching the sides while parking against walls and posts without taking too much care. But on the plus side, there aren't any dents. And also surpisingly no rust.

So I made a quick decision to build that frame and ride it on a tour around Karvendel mountain side (Bavaria) next month.
I will mainly use parts I already have laying around. So there will be compromises. :mrgreen:

Cheers!

Version 1.0 is already on the road!

Magura Hs33 - braking powaaa !! And those are neon, also. ;)
Middleburn Cranks on M900 bottom bracket with titanium bolts.
Xt thumbies for the sake of the good ol' times
M900 rear derailleur - because I had one.
XT front derailleur for the same reason.
Mavic SUP 517s on Hügi Hubs - Grrrrrrrr! Goota love that sound.
Some blue titanium axeled scewers - I bought those in GB some years ago.
XTR seatpost and ti-Flite, held in place by tune Würger.
And - of course - the very blue critical stem. It is blue. Can you see it?

Shakedown ride was... very shaky indeed.
Now I am thinking, I might swap that fork for some Judy XC. Witch would also help a little to bring that front up a little.

Thanks!

Last night I had some time to kill, so I did a complete overhaul on a Judy XC Hydracoil and yanked it under the frame. I know the color combination crosses several lines -
in a bad way. But the bike feels so much better now...

I hope, I will come across a cheap Specialized Judy style FSX casting to swap over. That would be really nice.

Just put on some black handlebars and stem or silver seatpost and silver stem and I think everything will come together much nicer, maybe even to give maguras new colour (black or Judy's yellow) ain't bad idea?

Something like that. I put that bike together quickly with what I had laying around. So I can try the frame and poke around.

Next step will be to make it look good bit by bit.

My current thoughts are, to get a Specialized FSX casting in exchange for the yellow judys. Or paint one of my battered Judys black. Because finding a cheap FSX might take some time.

Then about the stem and steerer: They will be changed at some point. To go black on black would be the obvious (but a bit boring) choice here.
Or I'll stumble upon some blue seat post and a white seat. I kind of think that might fit. Would be interesting to see...

Back