Your Retrobike least wanted list.

Saracen, Trek, Kona, Marin, Alpinestars, Diamond Back, HARO, KHS, GT(excluding interesting thermoplastic stuff)

If these had denied access here, the site would be almost spam free!! :D

The first that spring to mind are:

Cannondale.
Kona.
Probably Specialized.

Add to that all Trek's except maybe the original bouncy one, virtually all GT's except the original RTS and possibly one of the high end rigid frames.

Very little interest in retro before 1989 or after 1995.

Tempted to add Klein but that's more of a cost issue and have no real desire to have an Ibis or Yeti.

I've also developed a fear of retro aluminium so doubt I'd take the chance on a decent one.

Same names seem to keep popping up on the thread.

These just don't appeal but until i ride one i won't pass judgement as to wether they are any good or not ;)

1) GT
2) Yeti
3)Fat Chance
4) Marin
5) Muddy Fox

If anyone wants to donate me above bikes for a test ride so i can eliminate them from my list then i'm willing to give them a go ;) :D

Any aluminium frames.

Any carbon or other plastic frames

Any garage queens.

Boutique cnc components that look great but break when used for purposes other than garage queen-ness.

From a retro perspective most things British, especially Orange and Pace.

EDIT: and Raleigh, I hate Raleighs.

Cheap shit.

Edit: let me clarify, that is shit bikes that are also cheap. I don't mind great bikes that are cheap, but they are few and far between, most cheap bikes are shit so I tend to save my money and buy nice expensive ones.
Strangely i don't mind expensive bikes that are shit as in tetra terms they tend to be a bit off the wall and innovative, which no cheap bike can ever claim to be.
Tend not to have irrational hatred of individual brands, although some exclude themselves nicely by the above.

Cannondale with Headshok .... rode my mates BITD - harsh rear-end and bouncy front - just felt wrong.

Some Marins - they make me think of Volvos.

1-Kirk
2-Anything run of the mill, everyday, common or otherwise too easy to build. (a lot of the passion of retro for me is to do with the challenge of the builds, sadly this often means a certain amount of cost is incurred.)

Back