Yet another Pace RC-100 resto...

shedfull":wjtcls5p said:
Brilliant, knew it had to be simple! The are is now coming out but it's taking some gentle persuasion. Is it safe to use a screwdriver flat to remove the lower race, or is there a better way yo get to the bearings?

Just tap the steerer out and the lower race will pop off the bottom. Avoid screwdrivers as they are a little too damaging. Gentle persuasion is your friend with all things RC100!

It's seized in pretty good - I've manage to knock it out about 5mm but want to avoid beating it too hard!

I left it overnight soaked in duck oil - let's see if it's any freer when I get home tonight.

The bolt holding the LHS crank in place is also seized and painted tight - if nitromors and penetrating fluid don't help, it's time to get the drill out... :)

OK - cranks are off so they'll soon be off for painting, along with the fork legs and stem, when I can get the steerer out!

I think the lower race is seized on. The only way I can get any movement is to prize with a set of screwdrivers, but that is clearly damaging to the race/bearing carrier. I cannot even turn the race with a pair of grips.

Any ideas?

Thanks to Moores Cycles in Teddington, the lower race was removed and now the bike is fully stripped.

The lower race has pretty much had it. I'm going to get one remade out of solid - let me know if of any interest to anyone.

The paint is worse than I thought, so I think I'll bite the bullet and get it re-sprayed...

Now time to clean up all of the components :)

Finally all stripped and ready for reassembly. The fork legs, stem and cranks arms are at Argos, the frame is being left in it's original state.

Original Suntour XC Pro front mech and XT quick release polished up very well. M735 rear mech sourced from eBay looks great after a bit of elbow grease.

Yes, that is a straw :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 410
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 410
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 409
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 410
The Onzas actually look OK. I have a Dart for the front, we'll have to wait and see what they look like together....

Excuse the laundry :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 388
So glad you didn't strip the frame, the paintwork looks really good from here

Think you might have a clearance issue with the Maguras and the rather oversized tyres, I might be wrong but from here they look a little fat...

Did we have a frame number?

Coming along nicely - yellow bits at Argos being painted so now it's a waiting game. If anyone knows where I can get a 2.1in Smoke for the rear, that would be awesome.

Pics below including frame number :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 354
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 354
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 354
Back