XTR

designer1

Old School Hero
This topic mayve been covered before - and if so i apologise....but i cant be the only one!

XTR - M951
As we all know this matt finish does rub off over time - does anyone know if it can all be polished off or re-applied in some way? What have others done? -

Main problem being the cranks really - they look terrible...with that well used effect!

I also have a rear mech (just purchased) which has some light marks on it - can they be removed at all?

I dont know what the finish they apply is or whether you can replace it but polished with black decals would look very nice :cool:

Polished..I like it. :cool:
I have some 2001 xtr cranks that look pretty tatty and so might give that a go. Would you put a clear laquer on it? What would you use?

I would prefer wax over laquer because clear laquer will probably give you a "milky" finish which wouldnt compliment a polished aluminium surface at all.

Any wax you would use to preserve the surface of your car.

Of course you will have to renew the wax layer every few months, but it`s my best bet to detain the aluminium from corroding and get that shiny polished look.

Ok - so now the question is...

Whats the best way to polish the xtr cranks?

I can put them in for shotblasting witht he frame - or will this be too harsh?

Im thinking - re-sticker the XTR decals and then use a crank skin to protect maybe?

What we used to back in the day was just to polish the face which your heel rubs and leave the rest of the finish intact. It used to look pretty good imo.

How to polish in the link below.

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/ind ... ic=4005471

Basically media blasting will be quite harsh and you'll have a devil polishing it all out again. Just chemically strip the original finish and polish as above.

Back