Winter Rides....what you using?

I ride it hard and put it away wet. It's why my cock is pretty trashed too.

Most years I do 1000 miles between November and April in some terrible weather. The bike isn't trashed, it just costs to repair and replace parts.

I still don't understand how you guys trash your bikes by riding them in winter
Mines a combination of riding in the equivalent of grinding paste plus the fact that two weeknights every week soon takes its toll.

I only clean the chain after a weeknight ride because it's around 9pm when I get back so not really possible to clean it properly.

Then just take the other bikes out at weekend 😁

Reactions: R-V
Fair enough

Still unsure how much gunk you have to build up to really feck up a bike to the point that it's 'trashed'

I ran my enigma through winter the first year I bought it. The consumable’s it needed cost nearly as much as the London road I purchased to use the following year.

I went though 4 x sets of grx pads, 2 x chains , 1 set of jockeys , 1 x BB , 1 set of tyres, 1 grip tape . 1 set of headset bearings. Cost about £400.

When it’s a decent level bike these cost a bit to replace so I decided a winter bike at £700 is a good idea.

I do have a "winter" bike and do ride every day, BUT have avoided mud for last few years. For this year I bought a non-retro Univega, which on heavy rain days is also put on the basic turbo trainer, which I use under shelter but outside. Health (and age) requires daily exercise, averaging over 100 miles per week, tarmac and tow paths/bridle ways. Not very mtb stuff I'm afraid. 20221107_104250.jpg

I use the same bikes all year round.

The only thing that causes any noticeable damage around here is sand in some sections of the woods.

Sand, grit and salt kills the polished alluminium, strips decals or bleaches them out. Hosing a bike every ride gets water into everthing....mechs, freehubs etc, which will degrade them and their moving parts. Chains and sprockets ground by crap in the acres of clay mud.....let alone brake tracks ground out way before their time.

What's NOT going to wreck a bike in that lot! Hence using a bike that i dont particularly care about and that has easily and reasonably cheaply replaceable parts.

A mud bath mixed with sand and salt, and hosing twice a week, is going to do a nice xtr m900 front mech all the good in the world 😂...... where as a bit of sumer trail dust.......

Living in the same ecosystem as LGF, my bike (and the rider) comes back looking much like his in the above photo.....

I don't know where you guys are riding where winter has no effect, but i wish i lived there!

Latest posts

Back