Why do you 'do' Retrobikes?

The longer I own stuff the more attached I get to it, bikes, cars, tools, wife.
Car scrapage scheme offering me £2000 for my 14 year old car worth £500,
get rid of it ... get lost. Didn't know I owned a retrobike until I googled images of Kili racer and ended up here. It's nice to be in the company of other like mined people who also have a passion for cycling and fettling. :D

porkypaw":2c557txp said:

So wife is 4th after the bikes and stuff :shock: :LOL: Good read the more attached you get :LOL: :D

Does it occur to anyone that the value (sentimental and monetary) of all our equipment will surely decrease significantly unless the current and future crop of MTB'ers learn about and develop an interest in the past? Can some of yesteryear's MTB equipment continue to hold its value and/or appreciate in value like Porsche's, Ferrari's, etc. if we're getting older and eventually lose interest thereby changing the supply/demand equation? (well, some of us might never lose interest but those pockets would have to make up for the others that do, and face it, we all die at some point so who's gonna take our place?)

tintin40":2hoocifj said:
porkypaw":2hoocifj said:

So wife is 4th after the bikes and stuff :shock: :LOL: Good read the more attached you get :LOL: :D

Might have got cars and tools the wrong way round ;)
( typing quick before the wife comes in )

It's a desperate attempt to hang onto my youth, by reliving my younger years :D

…And as I couldn't afford the cool stuff so much when I was younger I'm taking the opportunity to buy it all now.

Plus, modern bikes are like modern cars – they all work perfectly, they all feel great, they're all soulless because of it. I like things with character (probably why my wardrobe is so dated :LOL: )

I've found I like building a bike from the parts - collecting up the necessary and making it look as good as possible. I like the clean lines of retro mountain bikes, it possible to build something individual and it's also reasonably affordable.

Riding something I've built is still a novelty and I like the feeling I get when I ride one of my own!

SF Klein wrote:

Does it occur to anyone that the value (sentimental and monetary) of all our equipment will surely decrease significantly unless the current and future crop of MTB'ers learn about and develop an interest in the past? Can some of yesteryear's MTB equipment continue to hold its value and/or appreciate in value like Porsche's, Ferrari's, etc. if we're getting older and eventually lose interest thereby changing the supply/demand equation? (well, some of us might never lose interest but those pockets would have to make up for the others that do, and face it, we all die at some point so who's gonna take our place?)

Hey - I'm only 30, so am I worried about the impact of all you old guys dying off in the next few years? Hardly... I'm counting on it :twisted:

Particularly looking forward to your surviving relatives posting your entire collection of mint Kleins / Fats etc as a job lot on ebay with a £200 bin :twisted:

Only kidding.... well.... only half kidding :LOL:

as long as someone who actually knows what they are gets my Kleins, I'm good. ;) But I hope there are more like u in the meantime in case I wanna liquidate before I'm gone

BlackCat":2e3t8jwt said:
SF Klein wrote:

Hey - I'm only 30, so am I worried about the impact of all you old guys dying off in the next few years? Hardly... I'm counting on it :twisted:

Particularly looking forward to your surviving relatives posting your entire collection of mint Kleins / Fats etc as a job lot on ebay with a £200 bin :twisted:

Only kidding.... well.... only half kidding :LOL:

:eek:
:shock:
:x
:evil:

Back