Why do you 'do' Retrobikes?

Nostalgia.

Too tight to fork out £1000+ on a new bike.

Have tried long travel full suss and it just deadens everything. I do have 3 full suss bikes - all pre 2001, none with more than 2.75" travel - that's as far as I'll concede :D

I want my dream top-of-the-line race bike from back in the day.....for bobbins. I love it when something new comes out and makes really great kit " obselete. " I was trail pixying in the woods today for 7 hours on my gorgeous Kilauea thinking that this is where I spend 95% of my biking....why would I want discs and full sus?

I think the reason for me is partly because I'm tight lol, you can buy a older retro bike for a lot cheaper than you can a new bike (well in most cases lol), £300 on a new bike will get you a fairly average new bike entry level components, no real feel to it or it can buy you a older bike with in some cases some pretty good spec'd kit. My brother paid £280 on a new carrera from halfords and apparently that was on sale and its not a bad bike but for the same price I brought a second hand giant mcm990 from this forum that was around 3k new with xt and xtr bits and the weight of my bike is probably not far of the weight of his pair of wheels lol. And the non tight bit has to be the bike tart in me, look at ringle and grafton and cook bros do companies make parts as pretty as that now days..nope sure they may be more reliable and more efficient but they just don't have that same kind of desirability for me

When i was 16 and first got into mountain biking with a Claud Butler Silver Ridge iirc i had to save for ages to get any upgrades and even then they weren't anything amazing. Now i can come on here and find what were once dream parts for beer money. When i started on here i only had one mtb now i have 5 ridable ones and 3 frames.
Oh and i love the arguments with the wife every time a parcel arrives ;)

Well, after moving from North Wales I realised my full sus, modern steed was complete overkill for the Chilterns. I got to thinking about back in the day and I borrowed a 1994 Lava Dome for a couple of months and loved it. I then thought about my first real, bike a 1990 Fire Mountain and bought a s*****d one from eBay and the quest for parts led me here.

I love the retro scene, the folk are great and bikes interesting, my last 4 retro bikes have all cost £50 - less than a pair of modern tyres - says it all really. :cool: The old bikes make riding mediocre trails exciting!

SP

To me, older bikes seem to have more character, little touches and finishes make them a little different to the modern mainstream stuff out there and since they aren't in production anymore have naturally become more desirable as the finite number becomes less. It also gives me great pleasure to ride a bike that isn't seen too often around the trails.

That said there are certain modern bikes that do it for me and I'm nearly always riding my Rigormootis singlespeed, but, on the whole I do prefer the look of retro.

Admittedly there are still some frame builders out there that put some passion into their creations and for that I'm grateful - future retro! :D

mine is for a few reasons,firstly,the new bikes are too short,i preferred the old Kona layout of long and low. The stance on the bike was so comfy to me,nice reach to the bars and it all just felt right so wanted to stick with it.
Second reason is the bikes i always wanted as a kid but could never get.So mine is a happy medium of that,plus all the new stuffs s**t!!

I always said that the Orange P7 I bought in 1995 would be the last mountain bike I needed to buy, and I'm sticking to that.

I'm not going to spend the rest of my life eating one type of food or painting with one colour....

....same for bikes road mtb fixed track folding cross new old vintage full sus front sus ridgid etc.....

I like them all.

well nearly all, bikes are a bit like women after all.

on that note I remember my grandad saying
"if it's got breasts or wheels, it's going to give you problems sooner or later".

he was full of pearls of wisdom.

;]

Back