White ENO Freewheel

Retrorockit

Old School Hero
These have been around BMX for some time (2002), and Trials bikes too. Generally regarded as the best hard use 1 speed freewheel. They're still made in USA. Parts are readily available. Standard English freewheel threads. They do wrap around the end of the threaded freewheel boss. So a spacer behind might be needed. BB spacers are the same size.
1- They're sealed. Grease doesn't ooze out and mud doesn't get in.
2- The single ball bearing leaves room for larger ratchet pawls. The 3 pawls are structural. They're a little floppy until a load is applied. Then the locked pawls support the housing. The harder the load the stronger it gets.
3- The housing with the ratchet teeth is made form heat treated 8620 steel. This is used for automotive ring and pinion sets. (not rack and pinion). The gears inside the axle that drive the car. The sprocket is part of the housing so it's made from the same steel. CroMo for the rest of it.
4- They have a reputation for being noisy. The sealed design allows the use of light oil for fast response in racing. You can put light grease in to quiet them down.
These have been used for high powered bicycle conversions before Ebike kits became available. The ENO Ebike version directly interchanges with the SJS/Thorn stoker freewheel for tandems.
1729001280252.png
https://www.whiteind.com/product/single-freewheels/Now this would not be for an average bike. They're well over $100. But if you have some handmade bike that deserves something special I would look into these.

Last edited:
I used the SJS tandem cranks with the Ebike ENO to make a Front Freewheel setup on my 2004 XC/street bike. This is either retro 70's Shimano crap, or the latest hing in custom DH racing cranks from Intend Magic Cranks. But aside from that a great freewheel as is.
1729004688257.png
This is the SJS adapter and cranks.This shows the back side of the freewheel that wraps around the threaded boss.

Last edited:
Back