which part has impressed you most over the years?

These shifters...

DSCN2508.jpg

I want to have their babies.

One of the best retro things which has surprised me so much is my Bullet Bros chain tensioner (see pic below).

I hate noisy drivetrains and have a Blackspire chain device on my modern bike. However it doesn't work nearly as well as this BB one. My drivetrain is simply silent, just like a singlespeed.

I am now going to look for a gold/brown/black one (maybe silver) for my modern bike as it works so well. Taking rear wheel off is slightly trickier but it's well worth it.

eca55bdb.jpg

Oh and there is an added bonus that as it's on my Dave Lloyd it annoys people... mwahaha!

Altek levers and SDG saddles. No offense, but some of the stuff you guys are posting up as 'standing the test of time over the years' aint really old. Charge Spoon? I know Charge is a euro brand so I'm not very familiar with them, but is that even a retro part? :?

Attachments

• IMG_3253.jpg
    IMG_3253.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 721
  • IMG_1832small.JPG
    IMG_1832small.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 721
  • IMG_1862small.JPG
    IMG_1862small.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 721
  • IMG_2869small.JPG
    IMG_2869small.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 721
def not retro, but shimano hollowtech 2. I removed a un72 from my ventana, stubborn as anything. then the hollowtech goes in so nicely and if needs be comes out no problem. but then square taper bb's just last donkey's years

so...

for me the gt zaskar. it's the only frame i couldn't brake in 17 years.
and it's incredible strong and light.

not retro but amazing none the less are my mavic crossmax slr disc wheels,they look great and work so well....ive only trued them once in 2 years and have really pushed them.On my retro ride i have to say my marzocchi z1s are brilliant.

cornholio's RC200":351rdypi said:
Agency_Scum":351rdypi said:
Shimano M737 mechs. Prettiest of the bunch and with TLC mildly immortal.

I'd extend that to the whole groupset. Absolutely outstanding and apart from the mega-pricey M95x XTR probably the sweetest-shifting/braking/looking set out there; far exceeding the previous M735 and at the risk of upsetting the fanboys - M900.

But it's the hubs for me. Ride 'em; abuse 'em and they'll still come back for more.

Never really improved without throwing XTR cash at it; why bother if you want a great all round set up? I guess the big S had to rake in more cash with later "upgrades" to it somewhere over the years.

I agree with you. The M737 group was great (still is actually) but the cranks are the exception. Especially if you are a heavy rider. They are not strong enough and the square opening where you mount it on the bb axle is a weak point and you will end up with the clicking sound from the cranks no matter how much you tighten them.

In 1993 I bought a Zaskar. On that bike was a Rolls 'Titanio' saddle.

The bike is long gone, but the saddle is still doing service on my Yates. It's slightly ripped in one corner and has lost both of the diamond shaped inlays on the side but it is without doubt the most comfortable thing I've put under my arse.

I love that saddle. It will be buried with me.

Latest posts

Back