When will a Y2K bike be

John":t7wj897z said:
To answer the original query, probably never.
That'll do. . . ;)

I only asked on the back of the modern for sale thread from yesterday.. I appreciate it's a topic done to death (much like every singlespeed question in the world, ever) but a fresh perspective can sometimes be gained from an innocent revival of an old topic..

Mr. Rippington, I'm finding your posts quite contradictory on this. Probably just the way I'm reading them but still...

IDB1":3m0tj1lm said:
John":3m0tj1lm said:
To answer the original query, probably never.
That'll do. . . ;)

I only asked on the back of the modern for sale thread from yesterday.. I appreciate it's a topic done to death (much like every singlespeed question in the world, ever) but a fresh perspective can sometimes be gained from an innocent revival of an old topic..

Mr. Rippington, I'm finding your posts quite contradictory on this. Probably just the way I'm reading them but still...

Absolutely no harm bringing up the subject again. Like you say a fresh perspective from newer members never hurts although the focus of the site will be kept constant by the mods and myself.

I was also unclear on the motorbike pictures.

John":3kw0ytbo said:
the focus of the site will be kept constant by the mods and myself..

No mean feat in itself. . I have owned a forum for about 6 years now and have had to relinquish the running of it to the Wife and her Admin pals.. was doing my head in . . . much credit to the people that keep the place going (I know that sounds like I'm blowing smoke.. but I ain't)...

The motorbike pictures seem fairly clear to me. Both bikes are the same kind of style, but one is that style because that was the contemporary look when it was built, and the other is that style because it was designed to hark back to that look 40ish years later.

Old:

nightstormMC2adroit.jpg

92GatorSide.JPG

Retro:
DSC01656.jpg

MikeD":2t19wrbs said:
The motorbike pictures seem fairly clear to me. Both bikes are the same kind of style, but one is that style because that was the contemporary look when it was built, and the other is that style because it was designed to hark back to that look 40ish years later.
Yes, that is plain..

But it's claimed that one is just 'old' and one is 'retro'... so, the way I read it is that the genuine article is just 'old' while the new bike, made to look old is the real 'retro'..
imo, the new models made to look like old bikes are just marketing and (generally, of course there will be exceptions) supplying a demand for people who are following a current fashion trend.

imo, the new models made to look like old bikes are just marketing and (generally, of course there will be exceptions) supplying a demand for people who are following a current fashion trend.

Exactly, old is "real", retro is something new, or at least newer, which is an imitation of something older. It may not be an exact replica, it may be much improved in terms of function and reliability, but stylistically at least, it pays homage to something that pre-dates it.

But for a web site retrobike.co.uk sounds much better than oldbike.co.uk. :D

God, this again!

Retro does not just mean looking like something old - that is just a lazy, fashion based definition used by metrosexuals in their skinny jeans and converse shoes who like to watch Sex and the City.

Retro - Involving, relating to, or reminiscent of things past; retrospective

Note the involving and relating to. Both words mean that the item that is retro can be old also, hence:

L1050053.jpg

is both old and retro, the new bike is just retro.

A potential origin of the word retro is retrospective -

retrospective
1. Looking back on, contemplating, or directed to the past.
2. Looking or directed backward.
3. Applying to or influencing the past; retroactive.
4. Of, relating to, or being a retrospective

so lets say an artist has a retrospective art display, does it mean he goes off and paints all his old paintings again, or is it a collection of his old works? I know what I think.

So lets forget this tired bmw mini/mini cooper definition that gets shoved around on STW and remember that language is what we make of it.

No it's not retro now, it's bad ass, I should know, it's mine! Haahaa, this one's mine too, it's also old and bad ass, but don't you call it retro! Grrr, just kidding, I guess it all just depends on one's subjective interpretation of the word. Certainly a popular buzzword these days. Soo serious! Actually the 1970 Triumph was based on a Edward Turner design dating back to the 1930's, so when it was built it actually was retro, so you are right, lol.

Back