When pedals attack!

Plenty of scars, mostly from bmx bitd, slipping pedals after tricks or jumps. Still get cuts now and again but not through slipping a pedal.

Since riding dh always on flats I found gripier pedals so never really an issue after that, my current favourite pedals, Syncros Meat Hooks, that go from bike to bike, do attack me now and again though. Just stood over the bike and the bike rolls forward or try to move my leg too quick and the pedal catches my leg, usually the back of the calves, resulting in some instant damage, blood, gore, girly screams, just from a mild brush with them. Griptasticly lethal.

P1012978.JPG

Syncros Mental are dangerous af too, along with Bullseye and I’ve been ripped to sh*trags by my modern Burgtec’s too.

Oddly Onza HO could be quite damaging, while they're clipless they could also be ridden quite easily with normal shoes/trainers etc.
But the two 'flat bars', the but you clip in to, if they hit the shins (mine just pointy bone) with a slip or stupidness, they created some nice bruise and pain for a long time. Not spiky pain, but a long lasting dull pain.

Onza HO a silent weapon
View attachment 680713
The very first clipless pedals I had on my 1993 GT Zaskar, first ride out got to a junction and forgot my left foot was still attached, ouch!
Some rather puzzled looks by the motorist behind me.🙄 No shins were hurt, only my pride!
However, my most recent encounter was with my Wellgo platform pedals when I got caught out by a really small speedbump and my foot slipped off the pedal and gouged my left shin in two places. Wearing my scars with pride! The pins on those pedals weren't even that sharp, but with enough force any pedal can do harm!

I find these Wellgo pedals are some fierce mfs...
IMG_20220808_095927.jpg
This happend while just pushing the bike because of the flat tire and just touching them lightly. I don't want to imagine what happens when they really bite... IMG_20220808_194356.jpg

Back