When pedals attack!

Tbh, all these pedals just serve to remind me why i still use toe clips.....i never got the idea of your feet flailing around looking for grip, the fact that the kids seem to have gone back to these evil buggers says much about the human condition in general......we never learn from the experiences or wisdom of others.

There were no Fivetens in my days of Shark Bites, they really do make a big difference to the likelihood of slipping.

Oddly Onza HO could be quite damaging, while they're clipless they could also be ridden quite easily with normal shoes/trainers etc.
But the two 'flat bars', the but you clip in to, if they hit the shins (mine just pointy bone) with a slip or stupidness, they created some nice bruise and pain for a long time. Not spiky pain, but a long lasting dull pain.

Onza HO a silent weapon
Screenshot_20221117_081953.jpg

Aren’t these rubber?

Funny thing is in winter when it freezes and you can’t get you feet out, I guess that works in favour because then the clips can’t hit you.

Another reasons toe clips win again

Aren’t these rubber?

Funny thing is in winter when it freezes and you can’t get you feet out, I guess that works in favour because then the clips can’t hit you.

Another reasons toe clips win again
Not rubber I'll have you know, but elastomer.
Temperature never really a problem, you could always get out quite easily. Unfortunately that 'rubber' did nothing to protect the old shins.

Still I use to ride them without cleats all the time from the early 90s up until 10 years back and I moved to newer pedals.

Another reason I kinda want to go for crank brothers eggbeaters. Though the clue is in the name beaters.

I might just stick with toe clips.

Blimey how old are you! Converse (which as far as i can tell is what these are) started in 1908!
Not that old! (43)😁 Having ridden flat pedals in Vans (basically the same as Converse) and Fivetens, I can safely say they're not the same thing. The rubber used on Fivetens comes from the world of approach shoes and is very soft and sticky. Sticks to pedal pins like shit to a blanket. To the point where if you get your foot position slightly wrong, you're not moving it till you get to a place you can sit down and fully remove and reposition your foot on the pedal. To be honest I use SPD because my foot ends up in the right place every time. Fivetens and flats ended up aggravating my knees.

Back