What do you enjoy most when building a bike.

kingbling

rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I guess we all like it when we have finished building our bikes, we stand back and admire our handy work. But what part do you enjoy the most during the build, is it the hunt for that specific part, polishing that dull looking chainset or just putting that new tyre on a rim.
For me its the polishing and restoring of old parts looking at the before and after photo and seeing the change giving it that bling factor. oh and when missus bling comes to the workshops bearing coffee and cake :D

Well i'm probably one of the few but the one thing i enjoy the most is setting up the gear's and fettling them till their just right even though i'm not the quickest at setting up and fine tuning the gears it still gives me great satisfaction perfecting them ..

Final assembly. I always wait until I have absolutely everything and try to do it in one session from bare frame.
By then I'm usually too frazzled to do the fine adjustments so that waits until next session and ride.

The excitement of finding a half decent bike at an early morning car-boot before the dealers have swept the site clean.

Re:

The second part of a wheel build, focusing attention on the loosely assembled wheel, getting into a zone of contented concentration as the spoke tensions build and the thing turns into something strong and true. So satisfying when it's finished.

The hunt for me...definitely the hunt but like legrandefromage, final assembly is the most rewarding. Cool thread!

Love the hunt, love the finished product, HATE the fact that when I stand back and admire what I've created, I know my riding will never do it justice!

Re:

Building the wheels even to the point where by I now own far more wheels than bikes

Done cross two / cross three / radial and snowflakes although yet to do a crows foot...

Also like the pinking sound you sometimes get when you ride them for the first time, only ever happens on the maiden ride.

Re: Re:

RadNomad":1ve4shs9 said:
The second part of a wheel build, focusing attention on the loosely assembled wheel, getting into a zone of contented concentration as the spoke tensions build and the thing turns into something strong and true. So satisfying when it's finished.

Same for me! Along with getting all the various bits past Mrs Muz without being found out! :LOL:

Then giving them what for when built! :cool:

Mike

Back