Veganism

Re:

B12 is an issue for everyone I understand, not just vegans, because of meats mass produced methods.
But yes, thank you, I do take supplements and/or B12 fortified produce

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":2hc9tvqv said:
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

Although I could never give up meat, I do think there should be a massive rethink on the whole industry and supply chain of livestock for meat production http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41281570

Why do you think you could never give up meat? If you don't want to, then that's cool, no problem. But don't think that you 'just can't'. I didn't think that I could, but it's not been a problem, and I genuinely don't miss it at all. Give it a couple of weeks at most and you won't miss it at all.

Re:

I don't eat a lot of red meat or poultry really. Where I work, there are people who will be guzzling burgers or fried chicken everyday for lunch then having more meat at home I suspect. I do eat a lot of fish though, particularly oily fish, as I have quite high bad cholesterol. When I buy meat, it's a more of a treat and I'm careful of where I buy it from and how it has been sourced and produced. I'll then use it in a veg-loaded casserole or other dish that will provide a few servings for a couple of days through a week or freeze portions up for days when things are tight later in the month.

Re:

That's more or less how I stopped eating meat too, actually. I was eating less and less, having a problem with the quality of meat (which is more of an issue when eating out; you have little or no control over the source of the meat you're eating) and questionable farming methods etc. To be honest I have more of an issue in that regard with fish, my take on it is that livestock animals are bred for food, whereas wild fish are hauled out the sea in vast unsustainable numbers causing huge damage in the process. What makes is more ironic in my arse is that I miss fish much more that land meat!

Re:

I've been vegetarian for over twenty years and, back in the late 90's, did quite a lot of work on the moral philosophy and sociology relating to animal welfare and sustainability. It's good to see the discussion here. I don't intend to get very philosophical here but a few points spring to mind:

1) I always notice how the meat products targeted at children have their animal origins disguised: fish fingers, chicken nuggets, burgers, etc. It's all processed flesh with no sign of blood, bone, skin or feathers, presumably so that the kids don't get upset.

2) The wilful ignorance of meat-eating adults: they will happily eat the meat but avoid investigating the factory farming that produced it. Perhaps there ought to be a test to pass before anyone is allowed to eat factory farmed meat: before you are allowed to eat it, you must do a day's work in a slaughterhouse factory. Only the most psychopathic individuals would pass.

3) Islam and animals: despite the frequent assumption that Islam is a patriarchal, anthropocentric religion, there is a strong animal welfare thread in the religion. Good deeds to animals are as good as good deeds to humans. Cruelty to animals is condemned. (Check out Islam and ecology: the misrepresentation of this religion in the West, and even by some who call themselves Muslims, is pretty shocking.)

4) Two philosophical points: if an act would be wrong when committed against a human, then it's probably wrong to commit it against an animal; only act on those principles that you could will to be universal laws (i.e. that you could wish everyone to act upon - and that's a bit of Kant, a real philosophy heavyweight for you).

Re:

1st question on the Quorn FAQ...

Quorn":hzz2wtlx said:
Are Quorn products Vegan friendly?

Quorn foods have a vegan range which is suitable for those following a vegan diet. Products in the range include Pieces, Fillets, Breaded Nuggets and Hot & Spicy burgers. You can find out more about the range here

https://www.quorn.co.uk/products/vegan

The majority of tbe Quorn range still contain a small amount of egg white or milk ingredients, so are not suitable for vegans. However, we are constantly investigating different ways to produce Quorn products to make them suitable for Vegans.

Back