Veganism

Re:

Article on vegan foods on MSN..
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/fitness ... spartandhp

There is no reason veganism is unattainable nowadays. I was vegan back in the 80s. That ended when I was camped at Lulworth Cove with a bunch of friends. Gavin had come back from town with a huge packet of frozen meat he had purloined to his injury, as he hid it against his bare belly under a waistcoat and it stuck to his skin.

As the bacon sizzled, and the sausages spat, I was sat there watching my dog eating while I was wasting away. I caved in, and from then on I have been a convenience vegetarian, with spells of eating meat.

I don't do supermarket meat.

You can be vegan without worrying about wearing leather shoes. It is about eating, not using meat related products. I agree it is a little hypocritical though.

We eat meat around once a week now. I think that is a healthy amount.

I don't respect anyone's right to eat factory farmed produce. I won't take it up with individuals, but I will certainly campaign against farmers using those methods and the trade using their produce.

If you are buying Danish bacon there is almost a certain chance you are participating in a terribly cruel process. A few extra pence buys you pork from much better cared for animals reared here, (in the UK, that is, from my perspective).

The supermarkets might eventually stop selling Danish bacon, if we campaign hard enough, but I have a feeling the Danes will merely change their farming methods once they have no alternative.

That would be something at least.

Re:

What about wine HB? All sorts in the production of wine.

I would struggle to give up fish and milk in my tea/ porridge.

Re: Re:

CTK":3t53dcex said:
What about wine HB? All sorts in the production of wine.

I would struggle to give up fish and milk in my tea/ porridge.

Wine is mostly but not exclusively clarified with bentonite clay, which kinda looks like a bucket of wallpaper paste.
Eggs whites are still used, particularly higher end Bordeaux and Burgundy. Isinglass, a by-product of fish can also be used.
So it is a little tricky, I wouldn't like to put a percentage figure on the types of fining agents used but I would confidently say most use bentonite.
The hard part is finding which has been used, particularly the French and particularly within Burgundy. Some of the most difficult and recalcitrant people we (trade) have to deal with.

Back