Veganism

Re:

I think I remember reading, decades ago, in one of those Hare Krishna books, that the average American consumes ten times as much protein as a human body can metabolise.

I don't think anyone needs me to run through the ramifications and dietary implications of this estimate of current world biomass distribution, or to make a judgement as to how 'sustainable' such a distribution might be, or indeed how 'sustainable' the ten thousand year dynamic that led to it ever was:

Humans = 40 megatons…
Wild land vertebrates = 5 megatons…
Ocean vertebrates = 50 megatons…
Domestic vertebrates = 100 megatons…

Global Source:Harvesting the Biosphere: The Human Impact by Vaclav Smil

Left out of those figures there's a whole lot of invertebrates too, of course, along with all the vegetable kingdom..

Re:

Two weeks in and really easy so far but in fairness I never bought milk and only occasionally bought cheese apart from Parmesan. I didn't even miss my weekend hipster breakfast treat of poached egg and mashed avocado on rye.
People do mention protein which makes you smile-it's like we've been hard wired to think protein only comes from meat, and we need masses of it!
My guilty pleasure is chocolate and I have bought 100% cacao vegan chocolate which is a bit punchy but I can live without it. Plenty of delicious vegan snack bars around when you look for them.

Re: Re:

Harryburgundy":2d2a22co said:
Two weeks in and really easy so far but in fairness I never bought milk and only occasionally bought cheese apart from Parmesan. I didn't even miss my weekend hipster breakfast treat of poached egg and mashed avocado on rye.
People do mention protein which makes you smile-it's like we've been hard wired to think protein only comes from meat, and we need masses of it!
My guilty pleasure is chocolate and I have bought 100% cacao vegan chocolate which is a bit punchy but I can live without it. Plenty of delicious vegan snack bars around when you look for them.

Sounds like it's going well.

The protein thing is funny, but hey whatever.

Each to their own I say... I would never have a go at what other people choose to put in their mouths and I expect the same courtesy. Sadly in 2017 some people still feel it's their right to lecture me on the fact I choose not to want to pass animal flesh, internal organs, rendered fat and by-products through my system, very odd. My answer now is usually ''what the f*ck has it got to do with you''? I used spend time and explain my actions, that got very boring after a few years.

Keep it up lad.

al.

I hope you don't think I judge. I can't relate to it but it's our choice to do, be, eat, collect what we want as long as it doesn't involve abduction and sound proofing the cellar.

Mrs hm away. Tea on the go. toad in the hole.

Pole dancers arrive later. Next door has got scaffolding up.

The History Man":1vtuoass said:
I hope you don't think I judge. I can't relate to it but it's our choice to do, be, eat, collect what we want as long as it doesn't involve abduction and sound proofing the cellar.

Mrs hm away. Tea on the go. toad in the hole.

Pole dancers arrive later. Next door has got scaffolding up.

No.

Bangers, mash, fried onions, peas and gravy for my tea... I'll be making it.

There are a few people I'd like abducted and locked in a cellar.

al.

You don't have mash.

Southerners.

The dogs think they've gone to heaven. All gone.

The History Man":1x5u3b86 said:
You don't have mash.

Southerners.

The dogs think they've gone to heaven. All gone.

Southerners?

al.

Back