Tubed V Tubeless

Re: Re:

jimo746":32f5nzet said:
that's when I tend to get pinch flats, which the tubeless setup should negate.

yup, I havent had a single pinch flat since I started tubeless & my local trails (brecon beacons, black mountains) are pretty rocky.

I'm running tubeless on my 29er with no problems and am about to set up some 27.5+ wheels tubeless as well. The 2.8 Nobby Nics look briliant, just like a cartoon :)

You only need to use the spare tube you have to carry when you get a massive cut in your tyre and it wont seal. For small holes and cuts you can just stuff just a bit of ripped t shirt in the hole and crack on :)

Re:

Tubeless all the way for me , only downside is people running tubes stealing your spare inner tubes when they kill there's !

I change tyres too often to be tubeless - once I finally make up my mind... :LOL:

Been running Spesh AirLock tubes with sealant since the nineties though, so punctures have never been a problem - just pull all the blackthorn out with pliers at the end of every ride! As to pinches - surely if you're running tubeless soft enough to pinch tubes (if you had any), then you're going to be taking out rims anyway. I don't get it. The only tubeless set up I've used needed MORE pressure than it did with tubes, just to stop the rims getting damaged.

elPedro666":38vatr3l said:
I change tyres too often to be tubeless - once I finally make up my mind... :LOL:

Been running Spesh AirLock tubes with sealant since the nineties though, so punctures have never been a problem - just pull all the blackthorn out with pliers at the end of every ride! As to pinches - surely if you're running tubeless soft enough to pinch tubes (if you had any), then you're going to be taking out rims anyway. I don't get it. The only tubeless set up I've used needed MORE pressure than it did with tubes, just to stop the rims getting damaged.
Well with your worn tyres and rims good on you don't run tubeless pete;-)

elPedro666":29rxnbbl said:
As to pinches - surely if you're running tubeless soft enough to pinch tubes (if you had any), then you're going to be taking out rims anyway. I don't get it. The only tubeless set up I've used needed MORE pressure than it did with tubes, just to stop the rims getting damaged.

That might have to do with rider mass Pete :facepalm: ;)
You coming to Nidderdale on Sunday btw ?

I'm a full on tubeless convert now.

The bike does feel different, it grips better with lower pressures (I run 23 front and 26 rear) and I don't worry about thorns etc. I've torn one tyre which was down to me riding with no sympathy on some very, very rocky trails.

Generally they're a piece of cake to set up too. It's a shame UST seems to have died because I think it's a better solution than rim tape.

Matthews":1pbqq02y said:
elPedro666":1pbqq02y said:
As to pinches - surely if you're running tubeless soft enough to pinch tubes (if you had any), then you're going to be taking out rims anyway. I don't get it. The only tubeless set up I've used needed MORE pressure than it did with tubes, just to stop the rims getting damaged.

That might have to do with rider mass Pete :facepalm: ;)
You coming to Nidderdale on Sunday btw ?

It's to do with riding like a Proper Man, you cheeky waif! Up in the Peaks yesterday enjoying sunshine in the snow! Hope you had a good one too :cool:

Seriously though, that feeling of metal contacting gritstone, that's exactly zero on my fun'o'meter. Do people just ignore that?!

Once or twice a ride. Maybe.
Tubeless means you can run low enough not to worry about pinching tubes. Not so low you are running on the rim.

I like running about 25psi. With tubes I'd pinch every other ride, so i stuck 30-35 in there.
With tubeless i go back down to 25 and ground the rim very occasionally. I've managed to dent one or two rims in the ~15 years I've been using tubeless (on and off) they both tweaked out in 10 seconds and i think are both still in use. (I stopped using UST as the tyres available were dire and weighed a metric shit load. Came back once stans was launched)

Back