Surly Cross Check Project Thread

Nice. I've toyed with picking up a used Crosscheck over the years, but once I got my Miyata 1000 there wasn't much point in adding a similar bike. I do like the ability to run fatter rubber though. Enjoy.

What a great looking setup you went with.
New paint makes it just like new, at first I thought whats the point with the black, but stand corrected as it looks great.
Always been a huge Surly fan as have had several from new and had them for lots of years, a 2010 LHT which is my everything bike, kid hauler, audax, tourer, trailer hauler, gravel tourer, a 2007 1X1, a 2010 Pugsley singlespeed, which my son now rides, and a recent year old Ogre frame awaiting building as my dirt tourer. So yes, a few Surly in the stable. They have all been bought as frames and then built up either over time or from the parts bin, nothing flash on any of them. They are used all year round and are so versatile. I had a 1st generation Big Dummy for a good few years while my son was growing up, sidecar and all. Yeah great frames. :)
I am sure you have many happy miles in front of you on this beauty.

Jamie

still evolving but fairly settled on 2 x 9 I will try 3x9 with a front derailleur before I finalize this build , seems Surly geometry will tolerate quite a range of chainlines and chainset combos and as long as I stick with 'standard' Shimano cable pull I am finding good compatibility with the Microshift shifters and a variety of cassettes and rear mechs.
DSC07309_cr.jpg
DSC07331_cr.jpg
DSC07332_cr.jpg
DSC07312_cr.jpg
DSC07314_cr.jpg
DSC07317_cr.jpg DSC07333_cr.jpg DSC07334_cr.jpg

Attachments

• DSC07322_cr.jpg
    DSC07322_cr.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC07313_cr.jpg
    DSC07313_cr.jpg
    752.1 KB · Views: 3
That's lovely, I like the 2x without derailleur setup at the front, never thought of doing that. I have a super compact on the front of mine with a Surly single speed outer ring. What's the chain retention like on the inner ring like with that setup?

That's lovely, I like the 2x without derailleur setup at the front, never thought of doing that. I have a super compact on the front of mine with a Surly single speed outer ring. What's the chain retention like on the inner ring like with that setup?
Oddly works just fine without front derailleur, apart from getting dirty fingers of course, I am not finding I need granny ring on the road and off road don't need big chainring, small small works ok due to big spring and clutch on rear mech, not too slack at all. Probably wouldn't work with a 11-42 or similar without a longer rear mech. It's no big deal to move the chain when you go off the road, e.g. at a style or slalom footpath. I will use a front mech when I try triple chainrings though.

Back