Today's Ride

Wanted to do a 'recovery ride' after some rather ill-advised hilly running yesterday, so noodled off on my Soma Groove to just turn the legs over a bit. I've never done a thread on this bike but realised today that I've become really fond of it: it doesn't have the pedigree of the Explosifs and is quite heavy by comparison, but it just seems to fit well with its super-wide Truvativ Boobars and layback seatpost. And for some weird reason, it never has front derailleur trouble, which is my bugbear on several other bikes.

It was a lovely day today for a change with clear skies, maybe 21C, and a little breeze. I took my usual route out to the 'badlands' in a river valley about 10k out of town. On a whim, instead of following the same old logging route, I was tempted by a side track clearly made by someone in a 4x4 at some time recently. While it followed a little creek through a stand of timber it was great: flattish, shady, with a nice series of rushy pools where I disturbed a platypus, causing it to crash dive. I could hear the odd roo or wombat bashing through the undergrowth to get away from me and also realised that these were prime conditions for snake activity. All the more reason not to put your feet down!

IMG_3028-2.jpg IMG_3030.jpg

After a while the path turned away from the creek and started to head uphill, which was OK for a bit until we encountered a tree that had fallen across the way during last month's spring gales. After detouring around that, there was some scary rocky downhill until we came to another creek, where the 4x4 had muscled through the mud and up the far bank leaving massive ruts. I'd run out of impetus so had to carry the bike up the other side. After another fallen tree, we encountered a decent gravel road which led back to the familiar trail via some rather fun undulations. It was a bit of a relief as the recovery ride had turned into quite a hardcore rough-country trek, but really enjoyed discovering some new spots for further exploration.

The photos came out a bit hazy due (I think) to sweat on the phone lens -- but hopefully these give some idea of the country hereabouts.

Last edited:
Back