Today's Ride

Thought so. I lived in Flackwell Heath in the 90s. Always a tough climb home. Up past the football pitch.

Riding has been out of the question this last four weeks: life has intervened. Even today, two-and-a-half hours was all that was available, but I made the most of the opportunity and got out on the newfangled vélo de gravier which, incidentally, I'm loving. The South-East has been plagued with strong, chilly winds for the last few weeks and today was no exception. The majority of the first fifteen miles or so was into a 20 MPH headwind coming in from the North Sea but I got down on the drops and slogged it out. I was concerned that my fitness would have dipped but there seemed plenty of miles in the legs. I didn't stop for many photos; I just wanted to cover a respectable distance. But I did stop for a drink and a slice of cake on the beach. Some things just have to be done!
PXL_20230604_171335071.MP.jpg

Fortunately, there were few people around in the early evening, so 20 MPH, with few hold-ups for dogs, children and phone-zombies, was comfortably possible along this stretch of sea front.
PXL_20230604_171137624.jpg

And then it was a blast through the woods and home for dinner.

Conquered the nemesis hill on Friday's after work ride. Echoing CassidyAce, whilst it was sunny, there was a chilly ENE breeze hence I wore long sleeves. It was a brilliant ride where everything came together and just felt spot on.

XBOSSy.jpg

QS6HfY.jpg

Since then the wind has eased a touch but dropped the northerly direction so at long last it's actually warm. Long may that continue!

Right before I saw a 3ft beige/black snake (diamondback?) and endo’d

I fell ON the scaly bastard and he slithered away. After I panicked and rode some away 50yards I was checking everywhere for bite marks… just scrapes and a souvenir in the bars

Different part of the ride - a smaller specimen but I think it must have been the same kind of snake. I guess they’re called a gopher snake, not aggressive or deadly .

07630DB4-AD7B-4780-ACCB-48BAA32D2B12.jpeg

This is part of my loop that I never stop for photos because it’s a grind. I don’t have a gps or strava but another cyclist said this segment is called “hell hill”

73B686CB-4BD1-4FDE-AC45-84DF96187DFA.jpeg

F968E3A0-0167-4A60-B18D-5F917C693541.jpeg

And this bridge connects the overlook on hell hill to the state park where I get my single track fix. All about 2 miles from home.

B1C920D3-8428-45ED-91C6-413216C93311.jpeg

MLK monument in Kenneth Hanh star park with DTLA in the background

AFFD917F-3C0C-49D0-BDE5-8ACEFA5ADE6B.jpeg

Tuesday after work ride where I encountered the footpath police for the first time (yes, my tyres are definitely the cause of trail wear, not the 20k+ walkers per year), and do you ever get the feeling that someone is watching you?

MiHHQq.jpg

4kK5sz.jpg

Turns out they left their messagse for me this morning all over a few trails 🤣 🤮. The legs felt good and the forecast looking unfavourable, I got out there whilst I could. A chilly 8 degrees with a steady E wind which will increase throughout the day apparently. Hazy sunshine but beautiful blue skies.

MRZzTd.jpg

Last edited:
Back