Today's Ride

Great news! Well done. I was amazed when our neighbour was out in same period with new hip. He's a roadie & went on to overdo it however. I had an ankle replacement 6 weeks ago & will be boot/crutches for another 2 & then hopefully on the stationary bike. Looking forward to the green light for proper rides at around 12 weeks.

New ankle - that sounds rough! Hope the rehab goes well.
I’ve lived with the hip for a few years without going to the doctors about it. My fitness is woeful as a result. The only way is up!

I’ve lived with the hip for a few years without going to the doctors about it. My fitness is woeful as a result. The only way is up!

How's it now you've been back a while? After my last op there was always a 'pay for it later' phase for a few months.

How's it now you've been back a while? After my last op there was always a 'pay for it later' phase for a few months.
It’ll be 7 weeks on Tuesday since the surgery and I just got the all clear to cycle and drive, earlier this week. Consultant said it’ll take up to 18 months to fully heal. My aerobic fitness is probably way more of an issue than the hip!

Yesterdays ride.....sorry. promise to be back to daily next time

Attachments

• 20210403_191346.jpg
    20210403_191346.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210403_191308.jpg
    20210403_191308.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 6
I decided to go for a road ride today, following up on some exploring I started a few weeks ago. Operation build-a-road-bike' is still at the acquiring parts stage, though, so I had to resort to every roadie's dream stand-by bike: a twenty-seven year-old Specialized HardRock. Built as a chill out and cruise bike, it's got slicks on so away I went. The bike got a few puzzled looks from passing roadies but it was okay: the slicks make it light work, even on a tough old thing like the HardRock. (I checked out some entry level drop-bar 'adventure' bikes when I got home and the HardRock is, actually, significantly lighter. Go figure.)

Followed a loop taking in Fordwich, Stodmarsh, Grove, Preston, Wingham, Adisham and Patrixbourne. There were plenty of miles left in the legs when I got home so I'll probably increase the loop next time.

I guess the horse was camera-shy.

IMG_20210404_122622.jpg

A WW1 memorial in the village of Preston: I suppose there was a Mrs Southern whose life was shattered too (see the list of names). 'So little thinking, leads to so much thought.' (Anon) Sadly, history teaches us that the thoughtless are liberally sprinkled throughout the timeline, both before and since.
IMG_20210404_130033.jpg

Approaching Adisham:
IMG_20210404_132520.jpg

And heading out of Adisham:
IMG_20210404_133421.jpg

Back