the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

Just in the conceptual stage right now.

1990 GT Tequesta, Ibis splatter stem, Rando bars, ss machine

Attachments

• GT Drops.jpg
    GT Drops.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 548
Word to the wise… While I used 25.4 and traditional (26.0) road diameters to good effect for several years, 31.8 tightens up the cockpit a treat, inspiring confidence when powering along without feeling overly harsh. WTB's now discontinued model are my personal favourite :)

Re:

yeti-man said:
2085818967_c8dd5046a0_b.jpg

I love this bike!!

Could someone just explain something to me quickly....what is the difference in cable pull between a road and a mt and how does it make using brifters difficult? Surelymyou could just adjust cable tension?

Cantis work with road bike brake levers.

You can get cable pull disc brakes that work with road bike brake levers.

You can get road bike brake levers that work with V brakes but no brifters.

The lever pulls the wrong amount of cable. Not enough or too much but with too little leverage. I've never bothered getting a proper understanding of the differences in cable pull.

You can use the STIs you linked to, (brifters if you must) with v brakes if you also use a travel agent which is a pulley that replaces the v brake noodle and changes the amount of cable movement.

Reminds me - I should get building again

Road sti need road front mechs as the cable pull is different between MTB and Road shifters/ STI. The front mech would overshift or undershift.

Road brake levers are designed to still pull cantilevers (cyclocross/ touring) or dual/ single pivots. You can buy V-brake specific road levers with adjustable cable pull from Tektro and V specific levers from Dia-Compe

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pr-DIA-COMPE ... 51b77f6207

Cant find the adjustable version but heres the much cheaper Tektro V-brake version

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tektr ... =0CMIBELMY

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest posts

Back