The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Ooh, Kans, LS35a imn all but name

I like the look of the Leak but Quad and Audiolab have the same gubbins in their boxes..

I looked at all three.. then I spotted the Leak on HiFi Shark with 40% off at HiFi corner in Edinburgh.. I bought them on the web shop and an hour later I received an apologetic email saying they were the units which had been used in their demo room and they’d already sold in store but they forgot to update the web.. they went on to say ‘they would still honour the sale but they didn’t have the 130 and CDT in stock, if I was happy to wait a week they would order brand new units in from Leak and still charge me the sale price’ you can’t complain at that service/offer.

The Leak sure has retro appeal. Would love to hear one, I've nearly picked up the original versions once or twice.
How do you find the Kans? I was on a determined LS3/5a mission a while back which lead me to vintage KEF models, ended up with Corelli's as I really liked the idea of T27 tweeters coupled with a bigger sealed enclosure + 8" drivers.
Recapped them with Falcon Acoustic kit (same guy who designed the early KEF models is the chap who puts the Falcon kits together) and they sound absolutely wonderful. I've no right to own such a nice pair of speakers for the paltry price I paid

Attachments

• PXL_20221203_180328291.jpg
    PXL_20221203_180328291.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20221106_174742.jpg
    IMG_20221106_174742.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20221203_164504275.jpg
    PXL_20221203_164504275.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 10
The Leak sure has retro appeal. Would love to hear one, I've nearly picked up the original versions once or twice.
How do you find the Kans?

I love them! If a little bright.. they do benefit from the sub.. even though the sub is hardly working, I have both roll off and high level set quite low.. sometimes I have to feel the cone to convince myself it’s actually on but turn it off at the mains and you instantly hear a massive difference.

I twiddled with the Rel settings for months following the instructions and/or forum opinion before simply trusting my own ears.

I do need to position the Kans further apart, one on each side of the woodburner but I’m going to rip the old hearth out at some point and route the cables which I’ll do when I get around to decorating.. even though they’re not ideally positioned at the mo.. they still sound incredible!

Completely different topic but does anyone have any experience of Neat Acoustics Speakers? I have a pair that have been in storage for best part of a year. I didn’t buy them new so have no history. Would they need some kind of servicing as such. Don’t know that much about Hifi stuff so any help welcome.

Vintage or newer?
Wadsy from these parts uses Alphas (I think), I've heard them, nice kit. i used to own Mystique's, also nice.

Planar magnetic tweeters on that model I think, must sound sweet
I have no idea…lol. When I did have an audio system I didnt have these speakers. The plan was to
Planar magnetic tweeters on that model I think, must sound sweet
Sadly, I don’t think I will be going down the route of buying any audio equipment any time soon. Ive found a local(ish) company called AudioT near Oxford that are a Neat Acoustics dealer. I’m going to call them Monday to see if they can help testing them out. I don’t want to offer them for sale until I know they are 100%. Didn’t realise these were pricey.

Back