The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

I'm currently using one of these mini Acoustic Research USB DACs in my first venture into streaming through my laptop into main system. Very noticeable improvement (compared to no DAC) and happily cost me under £100 with all goodies. Nice wee bit of kit, for my purposes anyway. :p

AR-ua1-dac-8.jpg

This is a long shot.. to say the least

I'm looking for one of these.. It's a PK Paris flash drive, they were mainly sold through Amazon and the odd shop selling apple products..

image.png.1387167f7b8d9b323e328a40edfba408.png

..I've been planning on buying one for ages but kept putting it off due to the silly £35 price tag, then last week they sold out, so now i want one more than evr 😁.. I've scoured the webz internationally and drawn a blank, does anyone have one they're willing to part with? .. they're not even considered very good.

Reason being, i want to leave it permanently in the CD transport and it would just look like another button

IMG_1170.thumb.JPG.814c76653cd85cf3726a03dcddfdc450.JPG

Ive been using these nano drives which do the exact same job but for £4
fullsizeoutput_3879.jpeg.78befc21f5f8027c78fd09f9862ed1cc.jpeg

..but i keep taking it in/out because it looks odd and freaks my ocd out.. i've looked for alternatives but the PK is made of metal and it's the same brushed satin alu/shape of the existing buttons.

Last edited:
Yes.. but please excuse the MDF shelving held up with ..err.. MDF? *facepalm* of course i didn't do it! i'm a woodworker damit!

..i'm yet to decorate the living room.. and bathroom.. kitchen.. dining room.. pretty much the entire house 😁

Stereo 130 + CDT

fullsizeoutput_3889.jpeg

Rosewood MK1 Kans
fullsizeoutput_34c2.jpeg

..a little Rel sub for the low ends
fullsizeoutput_3502.jpeg

..and GS1000's for when everyone apart from me is in bed
fullsizeoutput_382d.jpeg

Tidy. Up until very recently I've been running that REL Quake sub, nice little thumper. Went up to a 12" woofer (BK) and it's really grin inducing now with the right tracks.

How have those Grados worked out for you? Have recently been tempted to jump on the headphone wagon and initially considered a couple of their models.

I like Rel's high level connection a lot..

I ummed and arred between GS and the vintage RS1's for a while.. i think the RS are meant to sound warmer but the GS, due to their larger pads have a wider soundstage with more bass.. i'm more than happy with the GS and i got them for a very good price.. the seperation is like running a £1000 DAC but if a pair of RS come up at the right price.. i still might buy them, Pepsi challenge them both with the type of music i listen to, choose one and sell the other... the open back means everyone in the room can hear what you're listening to.. if my missus was reading a book in the same room, i'm sure it would be irritating but i only use them because i like to bang music out which can be a bit anti-social if it's late.

Much the same reason for me, late night listening habits have me thinking a good pair of phones will keep me well happy. Open back not a problem, I think that's my best shot at achieving an expansive soundstage.
Have been close to clicking on various Hifiman pairs but stories of their QC issues has me second guessing

There is no doubt that the Grados do sound amazing (the open back certainly increases space between instuments) they look a little weird on.. but nobody really sees them and they don't hug your head which can take a bit of getting used to.. the best way of describing them is having very clear, detailed speakers suspended a few mm away from your ears.. if these perculiarities wouldn't bother you, the sound is second to non for the price.

Ooh, Kans, LS35a imn all but name

I like the look of the Leak but Quad and Audiolab have the same gubbins in their boxes a bit like a Toyota Aygo/Citroën C1 and Peugeot 108

One brand gets better reviews despite them all being built at the same factory

The Quad and Leak versions are ahead for me, along with the Wharfedale Linton

However, it's all moot as the bank of the other half says no

Latest posts

Back