The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Re: The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff and sales thread

Given that I have friends who 'want an amp' then 'don't want an amp' (sorry Mark!) I have several to go.

JVC A-X2 - stunning, serviced by yours truly and gorgeous. Plastic caps off one set of speaker terminals missing, but it's irrelevant because there's two sets. Looking for £65 delivered.

Original Mk1 A&R Arcam 1, lovely condition, faultless, subtly upgraded and some re-caps. £60 delivered.

Will shortly have a Yamaha A-320 minimalist jobbie completed - just servicing it at the mo. Probably £50 delivered.

Perhaps those with The Knowledge may save me some trouble here.

We have a Sony all-in-one DVD player and 5.1 receiver. It's nothing special, but it works fine, and we don't need anything louder. But since investing in the sytem, we have a Virgin box, a Popcorn Hour media streamer and a blueray player to hook up via HDMI.

The unit doesn't have multiple HDMI ins so the other boxes are going into the telly HDMI ins, but of course, that doesn't pass 5.1 to the receiver HDMI link which IIRC, uses ARC to push the sound down to the receiver.

The speakers are (just checking the pdf)... Well, it's here:

aac25da1e1c68a8f6a9f4d5f84d60a3a_158.jpg

I've gotten a Sony STR-DH810 receiver, which has loads of HDMI ins, and each can be selected on the remote which will please the wife no end. However, I noticed the outputs are 8 ohm. I've not plumbed it in yet, because the question is (excuse my basic physics):

Will the 3 ohm speakers pull too much current for the amp to supply and fry something?

Otherwise, the Mrs is already pulling faces at the thought of changing all the speakers for 8 ohm ones. And to be honest, the room is pretty minimal and I don't want a pair of f*ck-off floorstanders dominating the Zen-like vista like two burglars from Easter Island.

Ta for your thoughts.

Modest listening levels will be ok but it will sound terrible and might damage the speakers at anything cinema volume.

The all-in-one was pushing out around 30w in real money with the sub engineered to do most of the work.

The All-in-one will have an internal crossover network sending a well filtered signal to its speakers, plugging them in to the receiver, you will need to go into the Sonys' GUI mode and select 'small' and then set the filter to as higher setting as you can (it goes from 160hz upwards from memory). Otherwise it will send potentially speaker breaking frequencies to the ickle teeny speakers that you have.

Then you have the all-in-ones' existing speakers impedance and inefficiency when compared to a decent set off the shelf stuff. They will put an increased load on the receiver making it run hotter.

And then, theres the frequency range, a new set of speakers will sound loads better than your existing set.

I would just plump for a better set of speakers in all honesty!

* the good news is, cross brand HDMI connections tends to all talk to each other. My Sony TV chats to the LG Blu-ray in turn chatting to the Sony Receiver switching it all on and off/ volume etc as required

I'm looking. for a amplifier to drive a pair of mission 761s that I recently picked up. I have only used a nad 3020 in the past and thought it was a good amp till the left channel went, so something that is been upgraded would be good. price. wise £80ish max

thanks

Looking to see what interest I can get on here before eBay.

Yamaha CA 1010 (circa 1979)
Seems to have developed a crackle when turning volume knob, but I'm pretty sure that's an easy fix.
£100 (seen them go for more than twice as much)

Not strictly hifi, but you may like
Tannoy Reveal 6 passive monitors £65

The yamaha is nice - the crackle can be cured by simply (and carefully) twisting the knob from side to side whilst turning it. Dust and teeny bits of corrosion build up causing the 'crackle'.

Dont use switch cleaner just yet as this can damage the internals on some volume pots.

But, again that Yamaha is very nice.

legrandefromage":3spsc6qn said:
The yamaha is nice - the crackle can be cured by simply (and carefully) twisting the knob from side to side whilst turning it. Dust and teeny bits of corrosion build up causing the 'crackle'.

Dont use switch cleaner just yet as this can damage the internals on some volume pots.

But, again that Yamaha is very nice.

Thanks.

Can't really bear to sell it, but at the same time can't bear it not being used. If nobody here wants to buy, I might just hang on to it, but the Tannoys need to go.

Attachments

• Nakamichisystem1x2bnet.jpg
    Nakamichisystem1x2bnet.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 4,445
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mrkawasaki":1q3emb66 said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nakamichi-System-One-1600610-Preamp-Control620-Power-Amplifier630-FM-Tuner-/380853297651

:-0
They look like they featured in the control room on the set of The China Syndrome, or similar to mainframe cabinets when I first worked in a mainframe room.

Probably take about the same amount of power, too...

Do you need Cambridge monitors on the wall to alert for temperature and humidity?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back