The GT STS Thread Members Bikes and Tech Info

The RTS is a '94 Model (part of the serial number). In that year, the RTS-3 (and RTS-2) had a Cromo rear frame, 7005 alu mainframe. As my main frame is powder coated, I really don't know, whether it is a team RTS or a RTS-1. They both had a aluminium rear and a 6061-T6 main frame. Also note the different shocks.

German 94 GT catalogue (funny: they messed up the pictures of the bravado and the RTS-2) : http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/GT/1994.pdf
Translation: "Hinterbau" is "rear end".

As this is a noleen with piggyback, I am hoping for a better dampening. Your RTS-2 has the non-piggiback-shocks.

You explained exactly what I meant with "turning point". So your "selfmade mount" does not move in the "frame holes", but in the "shock hole" (as it should be) ?
I wouldn't bother looking for a matching shock, if I had that nice of a adapter made :LOL:

@mofofo: Nope. Never. :p

Mofofo":br2vh62s said:
You are right : first STS = LTS thermoplastic circa 96.

So, you selling me yours ?

;-)

:D
Thanks
But just maybe you can buy the frame from MynameisCasper ???
Because they are only good for very technical people who can repair the
problem they all have at the head of the frame.
The alu peace will crack from the thermoplastic at the headset side. :shock: :?

Thias":9vclscpg said:
The RTS is a '94 Model (part of the serial number). In that year, the RTS-3 (and RTS-2) had a Cromo rear frame, 7005 alu mainframe. As my main frame is powder coated, I really don't know, whether it is a team RTS or a RTS-1. They both had a aluminium rear and a 6061-T6 main frame. Also note the different shocks.

As this is a noleen with piggyback, I am hoping for a better dampening. Your RTS-2 has the non-piggiback-shocks.

You explained exactly what I meant with "turning point". So your "selfmade mount" does not move in the "frame holes", but in the "shock hole" (as it should be) ?
I wouldn't bother looking for a matching shock, if I had that nice of a adapter made :LOL:

look again at mine, on the picture you can see that it is a RTS 2 (original sticker on the frame)
and it is from '92

yours is a RTS 3 because of the alu rear frame and the shock witch where worse than the first (like mine)
I have the new one and the old, the new was rubbish compared to the older becaus of the "piggyback".
the piggyback is to slow and gives an annoying clack while extending.

The one without "piggyback" with nr20 oil instead of nr5, to make it a jumpable hardtail :LOL:
It is still my fastest bike in good rolling trails with serious jumps.
But don't hit stony or rooted trails, a total rubish bike for that.

the adapter is easy to make, no? if you do not have a strong alu peace then make it cro mo.

I dont think so. Did you look at the linked GT catalog?
The higher the number, the "cheaper" the bike was in the spec. It has nothing to do with "age" or "version"

IIRC the RTS was released in late 92 (did not find it in the 92 catalog - but the reviews in the various bike mags are around October 92). The early versions had a no piggyback shock, cromo rear with that "rollertower" brakecable thingy (they changed that in 94 also). I don't know, which versions were sold, but I think the first RTS 1 and 2s only differed in the parts quality (e.g. LX vs. XT). They all had a chromo rear end. Later (94) they splited production. There were the Team and RTS-1 made in the US, with alu rear end and the RTS-2 and 3, Taiwan made with chromo rear. As I wrote before.

In the beginning, the top models had a chromo rear end. Later, they switched to alu and kept the chromo for the lower range. As they did with the shock.
So at least their sales department was thinking aluminum and piggiback is better ;)

Edit: I have to correct myself. The 94 RTS-2 had a piggyback also. Only the RTS-3 didn't.

GT-":3f373r33 said:
Mofofo":3f373r33 said:
You are right : first STS = LTS thermoplastic circa 96.

So, you selling me yours ?

;-)

:D
Thanks
But just maybe you can buy the frame from MynameisCasper ???
Because they are only good for very technical people who can repair the
problem they all have at the head of the frame.
The alu peace will crack from the thermoplastic at the headset side. :shock: :?

Thank you, I haven't seen its announce !

So, I am on it ! ;)

Re:

I guess your right!
all our team did ride GT.
I have seen them all and in my mind the RTS 3 was the last one, with alu rear and piggy.
I had a 1 and 2 and the 1 did not even have a shock but a rubber.
But yes I did see RTS2 with alu rear also :roll:
I also have never seen a hardtale rts :?
;)

Re:

I know, the pace has two boosters. I have one myself.
But your brake is on the front of the fork. It should be behind as also shown by the pic you posted:
DSC04408.jpg

The break mountings are pointing to the back!

GT-":3vzv4lk2 said:
Yes Casper, you should lower your rear a lot.

Thank you for taking the time for making such an extensive post. This is a NOS Rock Shox Super Deluxe which is exactly as long as the original one. I think I'll leave it like this.

Back