The British bike thread

Halfords Sport. Haven't been able to find any information about the builder. Reynolds 531 main triangle, mix of Weinmann, Shimano and SR parts.

16afe367-c877-4ce4-9066-a0a87cebf49d.jpg

174bbdc1-07b2-44f8-a164-65e34d3f2872.jpg

ea9477e0-c650-43ea-98e7-d79333bbf27d.jpg

6679d991-5345-466d-b8b0-2ccdc30b6129.jpg

I realised a while ago that these days I only own British bikes (even the Carbon and Alu ones are British brands), not particularly by design but I suppose because I have a preference for the smaller frame builders.

Going back a bit earlier in this thread, I don't have an Italian bike built using 531, but I do have a British bike built in the home city of Reynolds, but ironically using Columbus tubing – this Alan Richards (Tower Cycles Birmingham, 1983):

IMG_1565.jpg

And here's one built about 6 miles from me – a 1994 MB Dronfield built by Vernon Barker (Dronfield, South Yorkshire):

MB-2024.jpg

Last edited:
I realised a while ago that these days I only own British bikes (even the Carbon and Alu ones are British brands), not particularly by design but I suppose because I have a preference for the smaller frame builders.

Going back a bit earlier in this thread, I don't have an Italian bike built using 531, but I do have a British bike built in the home city of Reynolds, but ironically using Columbus tubing – this Alan Richards (Tower Cycles Birmingham):

View attachment 827255

And here's one built about 6 miles from me – an MB Dronfield built by Vernon Barker (Dronfield, South Yorkshire):

View attachment 827257
The Richards is a beauty . Are the bars chopped or just rolled up ?
My Roberts is annoyingly Columbus too , the odd one in . :)

The Richards is a beauty . Are the bars chopped or just rolled up ?
My Roberts is annoyingly Columbus too , the odd one in . :)

Thanks. Yeah, the bars are chopped (not by me, I bought them like that). But I have also rolled them up a bit to make the reach to the levers more comfortable. I got those bars because they also have holes drilled for the cables, which I quite like, but they do look a bit odd chopped, maybe. I might swap them out for something more standard at some point.

Roberts generally seemed to prefer Columbus over Reynolds, I think? From the examples I've seen, anyway.

Thanks. Yeah, the bars are chopped (not by me, I bought them like that). But I have also rolled them up a bit to make the reach to the levers more comfortable. I got those bars because they also have holes drilled for the cables, which I quite like, but they do look a bit odd chopped, maybe. I might swap them out for something more standard at some point.

Roberts generally seemed to prefer Columbus over Reynolds, I think? From the examples I've seen, anyway.
I went through so many bars trying to get what I wanted and ended up back where I started , more or less , Cinelli Giro's and 65's if the tt is short enough . There are Nitto's that work for me on older builds but still look ok , apart from the branding stickery things . Their numbering "system" is mind bending though .
Apparently that was one of the things that Chas was best at , mixing tubesets to get the best result in his designs . Mine was built by Winston so it's hard for me to part with even though it doesn't "fit" with me or the rest of my bikes . :D

Back