1980's Peugeot Premeire/Aubisque restoration

Jack1

Retro Newbie
Hi All

I have been looking for a vintage Peugeot bike on Ebay for a while as a restoration project, its taken a while to find something I like the look of and more challenging something in my size (54cm). I have finally brought one and it arrived the other day.

I'v got it out the box tonight and started to figure out what's what, its seems to have some decent kit on it, Sachs Huret groupset, Wienman brakes, Iscasell seat , Mavic rims(back), HLE frame and Campagnolo locking skewers. I'm not sure if the kit on the bike would be original or has been upgraded? The front wheel is not a Mavic and looks like it's been replaced, its got a black finish on it which I will look to remove, not sure if I can sand and polish it or look for an matching Mavic 190FB. It weighs 11kg. Its difficult to make out the writing on the tyres but I think they are 700c x 19c! which seems difficult to find now, I have found some 20's or mayby I would be better to find some 23's.

The bike was advertised as a Carbolite Peugeot Premier, its got a Premiere sticker on it, but the frame is HLE (one up from Carbolite?) and when I search the internet I can't find a Premiere like it, if I search for Aubisque then there are bikes that look like it. So im a bit confused as to what it is, it would be great if anyone has any thoughts on what the bike is? there is a serial on the bottom bracket Y9C1 17556. Does anyone know what model year it might be?

I'm planning to bring it back to life over winter keeping it mostly original. Interestingly the bike has a Barry Monaghan sticker (presumably the shop that originally sold it), I've looked him up and it turns out he is former international cyclist and an national coach in Irish Cycling, which I think is pretty cool. I'll post some updates as they happen.

Anything information about the bike would be much appreciated.

Jack

Attachments

• 00001.jpeg
    00001.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 00002.jpeg
    00002.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 00005.jpeg
    00005.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 000006.jpeg
    000006.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 00012.jpeg
    00012.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 00013.jpeg
    00013.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 000016.jpeg
    000016.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 8
Hi Jack and welcome to Retrobike. Carbolite roughly = HLE. But as a starter restoration it's great. Don't spend loads of cash on new kit. Frankly the bike isn't worth it. Concentrate on cleaning and restoring what you have. You'll learn a lot and end up with a much improved machine.
And keep posting!

Welcome, @Jack1 !

Getting a wider, nicer tyre is a good idea. 23 is an improvement over 19mm, but if you have the space, 25 or 28 is even better. Get some nice light folding tyres. It'll be worth it.

Good luck with the project!

Nice resto project. If you want to date it, have a look at the components eg brakes as they should be date stamped. Good luck with it.

Back