Specialized Hardrock 1988?

Nog1988

Retro Newbie
1000051407.jpg 1000051405.jpg 1000051402.jpg 1000051403.jpg 1000051404.jpg
Hi all, recently picked up this Specialized Hardrock which I believe to be a 1988 model due to seen others which have the same decals and the rear brake mounted in the same position, if anyone can confirm would be a great help. I'm a complete newbie and hoping to undertake a Resto Mod project on this and convert it to a 1x8 drivetrain so expect a lot of questions on here. Is there a section on here where the catalogue for this model so I can see the spec to try and cut down in the amount of questions I need to ask? The bike looks like it is showing signs of it's age so first think is to give it a good wash to see what I'm working with and pics to follow as I progress. Any comments and suggestions you guys have will be appreciated.

Just had a look at your thread, fairplay you've done a cracking job. I'm looking to do a more of a Resto Mod project converting it to a 1x8 with some riser bars (will be keeping all the parts so can be put back to original). Would you mind if I drop you a few messages as I go along as I said I'm pretty new to this and I'd imagine you would be able to quickly answer any newbie questions I have.

Just had a look at your thread, fairplay you've done a cracking job. I'm looking to do a more of a Resto Mod project converting it to a 1x8 with some riser bars (will be keeping all the parts so can be put back to original). Would you mind if I drop you a few messages as I go along as I said I'm pretty new to this and I'd imagine you would be able to quickly answer any newbie questions I have.
100% keep all the old parts! 👍

Just ask me any questions in this thread as it will help inform people what to do, plus you'll get more help rather than just direct messaging me. We're a friendly bunch on here. Some forums can be scary and very judgy, we're generally not!

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers from me! ;)

1x8 is super popular these days. Looks like you'll be looking at new:
Shifters
gear cable (inner & outer)
Rear mech
Rear wheel
Cassette
Chain
Chainset
Bottom bracket
This is just for the gearing and then other things you might want to change like riser bars etc. The pedals on this bike aren't the best either and you might want something more robust with more bite/grip.

Keep an eye out in the Sales section and also post a Wanted advert here as 2nd hand prices on here are more competitive than most other sites such as eBay!

Keep the brakes, four finger levers, old canti's and chainstay mounted rear U brake is pretty damn cool.

100% keep all the old parts! 👍

Just ask me any questions in this thread as it will help inform people what to do, plus you'll get more help rather than just direct messaging me. We're a friendly bunch on here. Some forums can be scary and very judgy, we're generally not!

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers from me! ;)

1x8 is super popular these days. Looks like you'll be looking at new:
Shifters
gear cable (inner & outer)
Rear mech
Rear wheel
Cassette
Chain
Chainset
Bottom bracket
This is just for the gearing and then other things you might want to change like riser bars etc. The pedals on this bike aren't the best either and you might want something more robust with more bite/grip.

Keep an eye out in the Sales section and also post a Wanted advert here as 2nd hand prices on here are more competitive than most other sites such as eBay!

Keep the brakes, four finger levers, old canti's and chainstay mounted rear U brake is pretty damn cool.
Thanks for the help, will make sure I post on the thread as you say I'm sure there will be others who may be doing a similar thing who can benefit from the posts. I haven't measured the frame yet but I imagine it must be around a 17" as I'm 5'7" and I fit on it. I'm sure I seen the catalogue it mentions about the small frames coming with 24" wheels. I'll measure the wheels when I get back to the house but if they are would the frame be able to accept 26" wheels?

I'm 5' 7" but can ride the giant 22.5" frame with the seat low down. Not sure yours is 24", doesn't look it, but if it is, you won't be able to just swap with 26" as you probably won't have the frame/fork clearance and the brakes won't offer enough adjustment/clearance to accept a bigger wheel size. Size should be engraved on the rim itself as they look like the original Araya's or will be on the side wall of the tyres... Hopefully it's got 26" wheels. What are you intending to use it for?

I'm 5' 7" but can ride the giant 22.5" frame with the seat low down. Not sure yours is 24", doesn't look it, but if it is, you won't be able to just swap with 26" as you probably won't have the frame/fork clearance and the brakes won't offer enough adjustment/clearance to accept a bigger wheel size. Size should be engraved on the rim itself as they look like the original Araya's or will be on the side wall of the tyres... Hopefully it's got 26" wheels. What are you intending to use it for?
Just had a look and they are 26". I'm looking to try and achieve this sort of look. My little boy has got his first bike with gears so I needed a bike to keep up with him and I can across a Facebook page for 90s 26er MTBs and started following a few YouTube channels and fancied giving it a go. I'll mostly be using it for riding to and around the park with my little boy so won't be any serious off road rising maybe a local canal path, a few flatish trails and may a pump track. 1000051429.png

Back