Wanted XT R/H thumbie mount - or a bright idea to repair a 'hidden' ally threaded hole!

TreaderSteve

Senior Retro Guru
To quote my father (RIP - his favourite swear-passage) $hit bu@@er @rsehole pi$$ coc% f@rt - the R/H thumbie has a stripped thread - the one that holds it onto the bars.

The pair weren't an Ebay buy, I'll say no more. I don't think the sale was deceiving though, but a repair was done with a product of some sort or another (liquid metal I'm guessing) - which hasn't worked. I was only trying to fit new black ally bolts and not even clamp onto bars yet so it wasn't me!

Might anyone have a decent mount hanging about please? A long shot I know - I'm probably going to have to spend again - just to get the desirable R/H thumbie.

I've looked into helicoils etc, I've used them before on the car, but I'm pretty sure it's not possible as the clamp is in the way - there's no access onto the 'face' of the area that needs the helicoil so can't use a bigger and required drill without jiggering the outer clamp part.

Any bright ideas please (that would last)?

I could tap-out to M6, but an M6 allen head doesn't fit the recess on the clamp so I don't think that's a goer.

Any ideas gratefully received if I can save the one I have!

L-R - m6 cap head 9.8mm wide, Shimano Hollowtech II clamp bolt M6 8.9mm wide, M5 cap head 8.5mm wide. Would the Shimano bolt do the trick if you tap it out?

Attachments

• IMG_5770.jpeg
    IMG_5770.jpeg
    777.9 KB · Views: 2
Try a slightly longer steel bolt. I've had the same problem and a slightly longer bolt picked up a thread and worked ok. I also find some alloy bolts seem slightly undersized compared to their steel counterpart.

Latest posts

Back